Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: If you suspect European Foulbrood?  (Read 1506 times)

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
If you suspect European Foulbrood?
« on: August 22, 2018, 01:17:31 pm »
Big IF but if EFB is present,

1. Must equipment in this hive be destroyed?
2. Or can it be sterilized?
3. If so, how is it done?
4. Or none of the above?

Thanks.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: If you suspect European Foulbrood?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 03:17:40 pm »
Do not burn your equipment for European Foul Brood. Replace the queen and feed to induce egg laying.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 06:40:54 pm »
Thanks, Jim.  This colony has been a blessing and a curse to me.  Started out as swarm last year.  Extremely productive and just a pissy. Shotgun pattern, dying larvae and emerging bees.  Now that it's dying out my attitude is that I'm glad to be rid of them. Hard to work them and made my back yard difficult to enjoy. Had to put a robbing screen on them a few days ago.

What do I do with the resources from this hive? 
1. Do I get rid of the drawn comb or keep it?
2. Can I give their honey to my other colonies or do I just extract it?
3. What about the equipment in this hive?

Thanks.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 08:57:03 pm »
Thanks, Jim.  This colony has been a blessing and a curse to me.  Started out as swarm last year.  Extremely productive and just a pissy. Shotgun pattern, dying larvae and emerging bees. 

EFB never reaches that stage.... could be PMS

https://beeinformed.org/2013/12/13/european-foulbrood-efb/
John 3:16

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 10:23:26 pm »
Sox, you have not described EFB.  EFB effects larva, only larva before it is capped.  Commonly the larva curl upward, turn brown, yellow and may be rubber like or soup depending on how long dead.  Adult bees are not affected, capped brood is not affected as the organism is fatal before the larva can mature.  The larva ingest the organism in their diet, the bacteria compete for food in the larva digestive tract thus starving the larva.  There is a distinctive foul smell as one opens the lid.

I agree with SC.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 11:50:22 pm »
Thanks, Jim.  This colony has been a blessing and a curse to me.  Started out as swarm last year.  Extremely productive and just a pissy. Shotgun pattern, dying larvae and emerging bees. 

EFB never reaches that stage.... could be PMS

https://beeinformed.org/2013/12/13/european-foulbrood-efb/

What is PMS?

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 12:40:40 am »
Just Googled "PMS bee disease".  Got it.  Parasitic Mite Syndrome.  Sure fits the description.  I usually treat for mites Labor Day weekend and then again one month later.  MAQS.  My 6 other hives are doing well and are due soon.  Might just not wait.

anything