Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: unexplainable?  (Read 7433 times)

Offline SiWolKe

• House Bee
    • www.VivaBiene.de
unexplainable?
« on: December 30, 2018, 12:13:07 pm »
1) List incidences that you cannot explain otherwise except for CCD.

I?m tf.
It?s very hard to do in my environement after 30 years of treatments done, high colony density.  All neighbors treat.
Some say that one must use local adapted mutts to have more success. ( no matter treatments or not)

So I made a test:

I lodged an artificial swarm ( 4.5kg) with mated local mutt queen ( carniolan mutts) and culled the first capped broodcombs ( my thoughts were the phoretic mites to go into the first brood).

The bees filled one square deep dadant box ( 12 frames and follower board) and two supers in no time, they filled two supers on top with honey and later one more. I harvested two supers. The bees had been given comb, tf, in broodbox, foundation, my own wax, in supers. They were given 2 full frames of honey at the start.

Small entrance and a robber screen all season.

I monitored mites all the time by the sticky board and by looking once a week at the broodcombs.
Mite drop was ranging from 3 mites to 5 mites a week. Broodnests were not spotty.

The hive stood single in my garden, next neighbor was 500m far. Other neighbors were more distance away, but flying distance.

November the same year they were dead. It was quiet sudden. No dead bees on the floor or at the ground. A small cluster with dead queen present, frozen. No mite frass.

I think this is what is called CCD? Nosema, spraying? I don?t know. I think the local mutts are weak.

The experience made me go on with descendants of an imported queen from the north and purchasing one more pure bred queen from there.
One of the daughters of the F1 had a mite drop of 200 + - mites a day for weeks in 2017 and still lives right now with a drop of 30 + - a day.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: unexplainable?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 08:48:46 am »
I harvested two supers.

It could have been a completely different ending had you not done this intervention.  There is no way of telling.  The thing about testing with low numbers is you are kidding yourself.  No conclusion can ever be drawn from insufficient numbers.  The results will always be unexplainable.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 09:01:31 am by Acebird »
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline SiWolKe

• House Bee
    • www.VivaBiene.de
Re: unexplainable?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 11:54:57 am »
I harvested two supers.

It could have been a completely different ending had you not done this intervention.  There is no way of telling.  The thing about testing with low numbers is you are kidding yourself.  No conclusion can ever be drawn from insufficient numbers.  The results will always be unexplainable.

They had 20kg of honey left.
So you mean I should have practised non intervention like you do?
Nice idea, I must say this thought never came to me. I was happy getting some honey  :cheesy:  Perhaps I will try again with an artificial swarm from the package bees if they survive.