Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen Cages  (Read 1142 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Queen Cages
« on: August 14, 2020, 12:06:52 am »
A just for curiosity, and a just because I wonder question. I have noticed when I order queens, the wooden queen cage has a mesh size that seems to be larger than window screen. It looks to be more like the screen of a package. Wonder why the breeders do not use the smaller mesh window screen?  Is it because the nurse bees on the outside can not feed through regular window screen? What is the mesh # of the queen cage screen? Thanks
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Queen Cages
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 10:07:31 am »
Count the squares per inch: either 12 or 16.  Number 8 is 1/8 inch or eight squares per inch.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 10:45:02 am »
Count the squares per inch: either 12 or 16.  Number 8 is 1/8 inch or eight squares per inch.

👍🏻
.  Thanks
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 02:03:09 pm »
My bet, and this is purely conjecture, is that hardware cloth is more durable and less likely to tear than window screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 03:22:36 pm »
My memory tells me the screen is seven mesh, and it is used to give the bees better contact with the queen.  Regular window screen is 16 mesh and would give very little contact.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 03:40:21 pm »
Thanks Amy and Mr AR. Yes 7 to 16 is quite a difference. Wonder where, beside beekeeping number 7 is used any idea?