Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Selling soap to wrap or not?  (Read 1515 times)

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Selling soap to wrap or not?
« on: January 21, 2014, 11:34:20 am »
I am just now getting into trying my hand at making soap to offer my honey customers.  I'll be making cold process soap and assuming I am successful (eventually) I am already working up some labels for it.  The soap would be offered in an enclosed honor stand in bar and guest bar sizes.  The honor stand would keep the product out of the rain, wind, dew, and direct sunlight.  Does the soap need to be wrapped in plastic to withstand the changes in humidity, temperature or anything else?
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline BingalingBees

• New Bee
  • Brad Raspet BingalingBees.com
    • Bingaling Bees
Re: Selling soap to wrap or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 12:09:37 pm »
Cold processed soap can be wrapped in tissue, construction paper and I've even seen it in little card board boxes... It continues to cure for weeks. The first 2 days it's completing the saponification process and then for 2 weeks after that it's curing (moisture content going down) and the bar is becoming harder (last longer in the shower). I put mine up for sale after the 2 weeks; some people wait 3 weeks or longer to sell... my point is - you could set it out with no wrapping and unless it rains on it, I think it would be fine. I wouldn't enclose it in plastic wrap because that would interfere with the continuing to cure process, long term I don't know because I never have any soap left after a month (sells too quick). :^)
Brad Raspet - Mount Vernon, WA
www.BingalingBees.com

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 06:45:41 pm »
Thanks bingalingbees.  This is obviously new for me.  I'll be focusing on one or two recipes.  I've got no idea what to expect volume wise and considering the lead time I'm a little nervous but this does answer a question that's been bothering me.

Do you use honey and or beeswax in your soaps?  If so do you find it attracts curious bees on occasion?  I know it's a tiny amount relatively, but my honor stand where I'll be offering the soap(s) is 100 yards away from my apiary.  I make sure there's NO traces of honey on anything I put in the as it's very unprofessional but also out of fear curious bees my scare my customers.

Offline BingalingBees

• New Bee
    • Bingaling Bees
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 08:42:12 pm »
I never thought about the honey & beeswax in my soaps attracting the bees... it is a small amount compared to the rest of the ingredients. I suspect that it won't attract the bees but I use lemongrass essential oil in one recipe that could very well attract (mimics a queen pheromone); I mean it's even used as swarm lure. :^)

I make seven soaps - green (lime & coconut), yellow (lemon grass & bergamot), pink (peppermint & vanilla), light yellow (plumeria & lavender), brown (vanilla & cocoa), lavender (lavender & rosemary), light orange (bergamot & sandalwood). They each have a little beeswax & honey from my hives and 7 really good quality oils...

email me if you would like the recipe. Be careful working with Lye solutions and make sure you're using a lye calculator for accuracy. I'm having fun...  You can use bubble wrap in your loaf mold to make the comb like edges (see picture)

www.BingalingBees.com

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 09:50:40 pm »
that's clever!  :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 10:22:02 am »
Just PM'd you Bingaling.

Offline BingalingBees

• New Bee
    • Bingaling Bees
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 01:53:41 pm »
you can't see the back side but I stamp that side with honey bee stamp. :^)
www.BingalingBees.com

Offline canadiyank

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 05:53:25 pm »
Beautiful soaps!

Offline rue

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 08:41:00 pm »
I would definately wrap the soap.  This will keep out dust and grime while they are sitting waiting to be sold.  You can then relabel if they get dirty looking rather than have to remove dirty unwrapped soap from sale to home.

anything