Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What temp do they need to fly  (Read 1135 times)

Offline 220

• House Bee
What temp do they need to fly
« on: May 05, 2017, 04:23:58 am »
Got a surprise Wed morning when I looked at one of my hives, my phone was showing temp of 3c,(37f) thermometer near the house 5c (41f) and I had a steady stream of bees coming and going from the hive. Over night temp had dropped to freezing point, this was 2 hours after sunrise. The hive is positioned so it gets sun as soon as it rises obviously the temp in direct sunlight felt much warmer but the air temp was still quite low.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: What temp do they need to fly
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 08:37:45 am »
It could be one of those weird phenomena where it was warmer outside the hive.  Bees are gamblers, they sensed the rise in temperature and gambled it would continue.  Bees can survive freezing temperatures they just can't fly in it if they stop.  That is the gamble if it doesn't continue to warm up.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline 220

• House Bee
Re: What temp do they need to fly
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 05:22:44 pm »
Even though we are regularly dropping to freezing point or below of a night days have been fine clear and in the 60's so I was expecting them to fly just not as early and while the temp was still low.
There is still a bit of dandelion and a few small patches of white clover have started flowering again so I guess they are keen to get to work when it looks like it will be a good day.