Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Frame Assembly, Is There A Better Way?  (Read 1338 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Frame Assembly, Is There A Better Way?
« on: June 19, 2020, 06:47:29 pm »
When I began, I did not want to invest a lot into equipment. I searched youtube and found this. I was very impressed. Though on a smaller scale, (a smaller jug), this how I assemble my frames. Thanks to Beeman Pierre!

https://youtu.be/kptalQBiBRk
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Garigal

• House Bee
Re: Frame Assembly, Is There A Better Way?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 07:48:35 pm »
I was looking into these only last night after assembling some frames without a jig, you guys in the US are lucky that you can get them off the shelf from Mann Lake for US$28.95 currently.

https://www.mannlakeltd.com/10-frame-assembly-jig

The only one I have been able to find here in Australia is US$126 (AU$185), but it does have handles!

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 08:03:05 pm »
 Yep, I built a ten frame one on the same principle. I have seen some designs  that use elastic/rubber straps instead of the slide in boards, may make removal a little easier.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 09:10:01 am »
https://youtu.be/pXGETkl546g
I built this from scrap wood just for fun.  I was trying to convince a commercial guy to automate.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 10:04:28 am »
I have tried a bunch of them over the years.   Had the Kelley one with screen door springs for many years.   However I have found the simpler design of Ross's from myoldtools to work the best for me.   I find the 20 frame size works best for me so have a few of them.   Years ago I put some plans together for folks here. 

The plans are here for anyone interested -> https://www.beevac.com/plans-and-downloads/
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 03:54:21 pm »
I built the Robo jig and as I stated a few weeks ago I wish I had built it for at least 20 frames.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 11:50:14 pm »
Robo has good ideas. Jeff Horchoff of St. Francis Abby in Louisiana continually says nice things about the Robo Vac.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 03:12:15 am »
I have assembled and wired so many thousands of frames in my early years, I'd be building frames all night in my sleep ... I uncontrollably shudder when I walk through a bee store and see frame sticks neatly stacked on the shelf.  This is why I just buy the one piece frames or preassembled.
Watching just a few seconds of the videos above, I got severe flashbacks. Thanks ... for the return of tics via a mini PTSD episode.  A restless night ahead.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 10:47:06 am »
Thanks ... for the return of tics via a mini PTSD episode.  A restless night ahead.

LOL

anything