Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Neighbour's property development  (Read 3596 times)

Offline JimW

• New Bee
Neighbour's property development
« on: November 27, 2016, 08:04:07 pm »
Hi, hoping to get some advice.

I live in suburban Sydney. Houses are being knocked down and rebuilt everywhere. The property behind us is on a large block (1000m2), with a small old house. The lady who lived there passed away and it has been bought by a developer.

We've just been advised that there is an application to turn it into three two story houses - 1 duplex at the front, and a separate house at the back. The current house is a good 20 metres from my hives. This new proposal will have the new two story house at the back approx. 5 metres from my hive, with a standard colourbond fence in between. My hive is pretty much side on to where the new house will be.

I understand progress needs to happen in a big city, and I certainly don't want to be a NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard). The problem I have is that our local council regulations (Bankstown) state that a hive cant be closer than 9 metres from a neighbouring premises or swimming pool.

As we have pools on the other sides of our property, this is really the only space we can keep bees within the rules.

I've written to council with my concerns and am awaiting a response. I'm not sure how they will be able to respond though. Does anyone have any experience with a similar situation? I don't think its fair that I would need to move my hives as they were there first, at the same time it wouldn't be fair to the unsuspecting purchaser of the new property once it is built if they have an issue with bees.

Thanks
Jim

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
Re: Neighbour's property development
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 10:31:00 pm »
Jim,

In the States, the "grandfather clause" usually applies. I don't have a clue about Australian law but I wish you the best.
Neill

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 10:37:15 pm »
Jim,
Here if our hives are too close to a property line, we can place a
6' fence to force the bees up above where people are. Do you have. The same rule?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline JimW

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 10:54:42 pm »
Part of the regulations is that you are expected to have a fence to force the bees up, as well as adhere to the distance rules. Going by the ruling, I could have a 100 metre high fence but I'd still be in breach if my hives were within 9 metres.

Offline PhilK

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 11:47:14 pm »
That seems so stupid.. do they think that bees won't fly more than 9 metres to a pool? What a strange rule.

If I were you I would have not written to the council.. now you are on their radar and they can write back saying "sorry buddy, those are the rules". Out of sight, out of mind for the new neighbours so if your hives are behind a colourbond fence I doubt they would even notice. As it stands, if you want to be within the rules can you move the hives 4m further away from the fenceline?

We had construction workers doing work 10m from our hives for months with no concerns, and we gave the neighbours honey and talked bees and didn't have a problem.

Offline JimW

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 05:52:43 am »
I did weigh it up, but it's a bit of a darned if you do/don't situation. If I didn't tell them they could ping me for it later if the people who buy the property raise it.

At least it will force council to make a decision either way. Not sure how they could force me to remove them though.