Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: fall feeding  (Read 1590 times)

Offline beesonhay465

• House Bee
fall feeding
« on: October 16, 2019, 12:11:17 am »
i have fed in the past 5 days for a total of 24 lbs of sugar as 2/1 syrup. filled feeder yesterday when l checked today they were licking the bottom . when  should i stop feeding ?  2 med supers one was about 80% the other empty when i started feeding.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Re: fall feeding
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 12:42:09 am »
Where are you located?  Location determines how much food they need.
Go not by how much they have taken in, but by how much they have actually stored away.  In other words, actually weigh the hive to know if they have enough.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 03:38:52 pm »
The rule of thumb to stop liquid feeding is when the daily low temperatures are consistently in the 50's (in my area).
For light hives I go straight into Mountain Camp style feeding, https://www.honeybeesuite.com/mountain-camp-feeding/.
There seems to be a tendency for the bees to go to the top of the hive pretty quick when you feed solid sugar or patties.  I'm sure other people will have their opinions.  Many of the non interventionist beekeepers say you should never feed a hive, but, they are the ones buying packages every year because their bees starved (or died of mites).
For established hives I wait for them to use up their stores before I start MC.  Frequently they do not need it, depends on the weather and the queen activity.
Good luck with your bees.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 06:50:15 pm »
HP, how much honey per single deep or double deep hive do you need to winter over?

In south Texas I used an entire medium of honey.  Rarely a Frost in that area, however the bees were active somewhat but no foliage so a lot of honey was needed.

Cheers
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 11:28:47 pm »
I?ve watched a couple videos from two different keepers in Canada and both were over wintering in a single deep.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
fall feeding
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 11:44:13 am »
HP, how much honey per single deep or double deep hive do you need to winter over?

In south Texas I used an entire medium of honey.  Rarely a Frost in that area, however the bees were active somewhat but no foliage so a lot of honey was needed.

Cheers
Van

Only an experienced beekeeper local to your area can advise how much feed is needed.  What I need here to get through 6 months of frozen white landscape to what is needed in balmy year round forage in Florida will be significantly different. Hence my question to the OP above.  Location, location, location.

To VanZ question. My all in weight target by mid October 15.  This includes lid, boxes, bees, and bottom board.
- double deep:  165 lbs,  wintered outdoors or in climate controlled building
- single deep: 95+ lbs, wintered in climate controlled building

Winter period is long here. Frost kill by 1st week of september. Snow on the ground and frozen landscape any day from Oct 10 onwards.  Spring snowmelt and above zero temperatures do not return until into April.  There is no forage until wk3 of April when the willows open.
At the weights given. The double deep will be on verge of starving end of April.  The single deep will be starving end of March.  It is impossible to feed November through March. Feeding is complete by end of September.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 02:29:48 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline apicultor

• Brood
  • Beekeeping supplies
    • https://www.latiendadelapicultor.com
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 08:29:36 pm »
I?ve watched a couple videos from two different keepers in Canada and both were over wintering in a single deep.

yes, they usually wintering in a single deep with one frame feeder.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 09:06:49 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything