Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dumb question about beeswax and fire  (Read 16673 times)

Offline bhough

• New Bee
Dumb question about beeswax and fire
« on: December 20, 2010, 12:16:36 am »
Dear Friends,

I've been using some of my beeswax to make lip balm.  Some of the recipes I read caution you to warm the beeswax on a double burner because "beeswax is flammable".  Today I thought about using some of my beeswax to make a candle and said to myself, "It can't be THAT flammable if we're making it into candles?!?"

Are the lip balm authors worry-worts?  Has anyone rectified this discrepency in their own mind?

Thanks,
Bruce

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
Re: Dumb question about beeswax and fire
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 12:19:24 am »
Bees wax and fire are not a good combination  :shock:!  If  you are not careful, sparks from a smoker can quickly reduce a thriving hive to a pile of ashes.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 12:24:55 am »
Beeswax is flammable, not combustible nor explosive. It makes for beautiful candles but the caution about the double boiler is so that you can't heat it to the flash point...somewhere around 300-350 degrees.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 12:26:37 am »
A small splash on a hot burner will catch the whole pan on fire. Also, the flashpoint can be reached on a normal burner, sometimes before the cake has totally liquefied. Not a good scenario.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 12:28:27 am »
a small splash on a hot burner will catch the whole pan on fire. Also, the flashpoint can be reached on a normal burner, sometimes before the cake has totally liquefied. Not a good scenario.
Yep. - that - if a pan of it gets hot enough it will go up like a grease fire.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 04:32:18 pm »
Absofriggenlutely it's flammable. I'm a trapper and the traps are prepared by first cleaning the traps by boiling in a lye solution, then dying the traps with a logwood dye boil followed by dipping the traps into melted wax for protection from the elements. The wax is a blend of paraffin, beeswax and rosin (something very similar to dipping woodenware). I don't know a trapper worth his salt that hasn't smoked up a wax pot full of wax. It will flash on you and does not require a spark to ignite if you go past the flash point with the heat. The reason for the double boiler is that the water in the lower pot can not go past 212 fahrenheit (the boiling point of water at sea level) unless in a pressure vessel. This is well below the flash point of both paraffin and beeswax and is the required safety measure when melting either of these waxes. It also is a wise idea to keep a tight fitting lid for the wax pot to smother the flame if you have a boo boo. Whatever you do in the event of fire DO NOT DOUSE WITH WATER. Wax floats and you will then have a moving flame as the water spreads.
Of course you could always disregard and set the stage for some excitement to break up the boredom.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 06:53:16 pm »
I wouldn't get caught smoking while using that lip balm.   :-D

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 07:03:34 pm »
With the candle you have a solid well below flash point temperature. The wick when lit becomes a source of heat melting a small amount of the wax. The wick further absorbs the melted wax where it is heated to the flash point, hence the flame continually feeds itself until all of the wax is consumed or more often the wick is consumed leaving a glob of wax that was melted ran off and not absorbed by the wick.

Like was said wax is flammable, inflammable, combustible, ie it will burn. What it is not is explosive, though hot wax like gasoline when it flashes certainly does look explosive. BTW, gasoline is not an explosive either.

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 07:27:19 pm »
I wouldn't get caught smoking while using that lip balm.   :-D

Gives a whole new meaning to HOT LIPS :-D

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 07:49:42 pm »
>>>BTW, gasoline is not an explosive either.<<<

In liquid form, NO.
In gaseous form, YES.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 08:09:47 pm »
>>>BTW, gasoline is not an explosive either.<<<

In liquid form, NO.
In gaseous form, YES.

Splitting hairs, but your right. I was just trying to differentiate between items thought to be explosive (gasoline, kerosene and the like) and true explosives like black powder, C4 (which strangley is also combustible without being explosive) and the like.
I guess I stretched in my effort of definition.

anything