Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: It pays to be 'out' to your friends, and neighbors whose names you don't know  (Read 2059 times)

Offline Absinthe

• New Bee
Just now, my wife yells up the steps and says there's a present for me. Apparently, my neighbor, whose name I haven't a clue (we're new here and only lived here 6-1/2 years so we don't know both our neighbors yet  we are bad people :) ) Sent over a pair of books. Apparently he saw me put out the bait hive in the disputed property between our homes (long interesting story there too... ) Thought I might find them interesting. I am going to have to learn their names. There is one daughter in the home that works at our Food Lion so I know here name (she wears a name tag.) But I haven't a clue anyone else in the whole house.  I will definitely have to learn their names now...

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
Awesome, great score. I?ve been looking for those books for years at jumble sales and markets and there you are being gifted for being bad neighbours! Get over there with a jar of honey!

Offline Absinthe

• New Bee
They want us to play pickle ball with them. I think this is foreplay. :)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
That is crazy amazing!  If my neighbors gave me books, that would sure win me over, especially books that good! 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Those gifted books could definitely start up a good conversation with your new 6 year long neighbors. It was very kind and thoughtful of them to do so. I suppose the next step is up to you.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
What is pickle ball?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
What is pickle ball?

Ace I missed that. I was concentrating on the kindness of the neighbor and gift of the books, and the seeming ungratefulness with resentment toward, (or it might have been just the opposite, a sophisticated form of delight toward) that neighbor by the poster.
I have never heard of pickle ball either. I ask the same question, what is pickle ball?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 05:58:33 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
What is pickle ball?
Ace I missed that. I was concentrating on the kindness of the neighbor and gift of the books, and the seeming ungratefulness with resentment toward that neighbor by the poster. I have never heard of pickle ball either. I ask the same question, what is pickle ball?
Pickleball is a racket sport that is kind of a cross between badminton, table tennis, and normal tennis.  It's played with a plastic ball and solid paddles on a badminton court.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Wow.
Yeah I haven?t heard of that either.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
The gifting of those two particular books suggests, at least to me, that the neighbour has some reasonable level of knowledge and experience with bees. Receiving the gift is an extension of the welcoming hand.  Perhaps a initiation to lay rest to whatever the property dispute is. Or a desire to get to know you and talk bees.   Whatever the motive, you owe him/her at minimum 10 lbs of honey for the value of those books.  Don?t just drop it off. Deliver it face to face, be gracious, and budget an hour for wherever the conversation goes. 
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
I agree, those are Nice books  I have read both but not that version of the first book and the second one I read on line.
You definitely owe him some honey and your time.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Absinthe

• New Bee
What is pickle ball?

Ace I missed that. I was concentrating on the kindness of the neighbor and gift of the books, and the seeming ungratefulness with resentment toward, (or it might have been just the opposite, a sophisticated form of delight toward) that neighbor by the poster.
I have never heard of pickle ball either. I ask the same question, what is pickle ball?

Ben, it was pure delight. Just amazed that we are neighbors for so long and don't really know each others's names. When I was a kid I knew every one of my neighbors, by name, and personal information and all about their business. As an adult, this just isn't the way we live. I was just sharing how bad of a person I feel like in not knowing my neighbors enough to call them by name, and yet they are so sweet as to give me such a wonderfully thoughtful gift.

They are pickle ball players. And were explaining to me the other day as much, and said a place where they go and play and how much the "older folks" really enjoy it. And went on to suggest we should come and play some time. We are shaggers, and I am not sure what the future of social dancing will be here at least the immediate foreseeable future. So who knows, maybe pickle ball will be a good social activity for us.

Interestingly enough the neighbor on the other side, we know by name and have interacted since we moved in. We do stuff for each other, and 2 weeks ago, I learned their last name :) Now we are friends on FB and I have his number in my phone.  So maybe it just takes time. Good fences make good neighbors. :)

OTOH, there is little reason to interact with neighbors. And there is a blank half lot between this neighbor. But we don't walk anywhere, so from the door to the car then from the car to the door. Now that we have the zombie apocalypse going on, there is more time spend sitting or hanging out in the yard, and you do get to see people where we hadn't before.

Offline Absinthe

• New Bee
What is pickle ball?
It is a combination of every known paddle game. From tennis, to ping pong, to badminton. It uses a wiffle ball a bit bigger than a baseball with a whole bunch of holes in it.

Here is what the Wiki says :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickleball

Offline Absinthe

• New Bee
The gifting of those two particular books suggests, at least to me, that the neighbour has some reasonable level of knowledge and experience with bees. Receiving the gift is an extension of the welcoming hand.  Perhaps a initiation to lay rest to whatever the property dispute is. Or a desire to get to know you and talk bees.   Whatever the motive, you owe him/her at minimum 10 lbs of honey for the value of those books.  Don?t just drop it off. Deliver it face to face, be gracious, and budget an hour for wherever the conversation goes.

We had a conversation about bees and beekeeping a while back when I was setting bait hives between our property, and the wife was working on some of her gardening. Neither of them are beek's. I have yet to run into them again since then, but I am sure it will open a great conversation. Something bigger than just the wave's and "Hey!" from across the way. It will be interesting to find out what the story of the books are. Could be better at thrift shopping than we are. :) As I understand it, the husband either is or was an over the road truck driver. So most of the time if anyone was outside it was the wife. Just was never really a comfortable time for me to go over and interact with a lone woman. And my wife is not really one to reach out to someone she doesn't know. Catch 22 :)

So now we'll see how it goes... But we are more like pinochle than pickle ball players. 

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
Y'all are too busy playing with bees to play pickle ball.  No wonder you never heard of it.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Absinthe

• New Bee
Y'all are too busy playing with bees to play pickle ball.  No wonder you never heard of it.

We will most likely *NOT* be playing pickle ball. So suggests SWMBO :)

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
My brother in law is a big pickle ball player.  He travels all over for tournaments.  I've never tried it but he loves it.

anything