Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: TWO frame nuc??  (Read 1885 times)

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
TWO frame nuc??
« on: April 09, 2018, 03:46:16 pm »
I?ve been trying to help out some new beekeepers to get some bees.  They live out on Long Island so I directed them to the LI Beekeepers Association.  There was a listing for someone selling a ?Five frame deep nuc?.   $175. But these contained only Two frames of brood, 1 empty frame+1 frame honey+1 frame pollen.  I never heard of this in my years of beekeeping.

Have any of you? 

I told them to get their bees from someone else who sells real nucs.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
Re: TWO frame nuc??
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 04:01:20 pm »
Three brood, one honey and one partially drawn out with pollen and a laying queen is what I would expect for $175.00. There are no standards for nucs so it becomes buyer beware.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 06:14:54 pm »
" I told them to get their bees from someone else who sells real nucs."

Sound advice... such might suit for a temporary housing in an apiary.
No way the structure forms a working colony.

Bill
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 07:04:04 am by eltalia »

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 08:54:30 pm »
Have any of you? 
Yes, if you say there is a mated queen.  I am not happy with the price but do you think you have a better chance with a package?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 08:55:51 pm »
That sounds more like what I make when I find a capped queen cell that I want to make a "nuc" with.  Not what I would sell as a "nuc".  IMO a five frame nuc that is being sold should contain 5 frames full of pollen/brood/honey/nectar in some reasonably combination.  It sounds like they are selling a 4 frame nuc for the price of a 5 frame nuc.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 12:37:19 am »
Thanks, guys.  Yes, this does include a mated queen.  Nevertheless, I think this guy?s practice is incredibly unethical. 

I advised the newbies to get packages but they seem to be sold out.  I personally only get CA packages from Mann Lake or queens from Olivarez or Koehnen, when  I need them.  I avoid bees from the south and these are the only packages that still seem to be available now. But it?s their call on that.

I subcontract for a few pest management companies that call me for anything honeybee so I?ll probably be able to set them up with something later in the summer.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 10:12:29 am »
I sell 5 frames($150) - Packed! When you buy a nuc from me the best thing you can do is to immediately put it in an 8 or 10 super. The average price around here is $165.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 04:36:55 am »
Losing all the foragers the extra empty frame is no good.  You can help out your friends by donating one frame of broods and attaching bees to make up for the empty frame space.  This will be a complete nuc hive with 3 frame of broods instead of 2.  Then feed them heavily.  At that price it is reasonable depending on location.   

Offline Troutdog

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 06:08:24 pm »
I?ve been trying to help out some new beekeepers to get some bees.  They live out on Long Island so I directed them to the LI Beekeepers Association.  There was a listing for someone selling a ?Five frame deep nuc?.   $175. But these contained only Two frames of brood, 1 empty frame+1 frame honey+1 frame pollen.  I never heard of this in my years of beekeeping.

Have any of you? 

Standard is 60 percent coverage eggs larvae capped all in ratio
Frame to grow into and a frame of pantry pollen and honey.
Yeah
Its getting tough out there lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 06:52:24 pm »
I?ve been trying to help out some new beekeepers to get some bees.  They live out on
Long Island so I directed them to the LI Beekeepers Association.  There was a listing for
 someone selling a ?Five frame deep nuc?.   $175. But these contained only Two frames
of brood, 1 empty frame+1 frame honey+1 frame pollen.  I never heard of this in my
years of beekeeping.

Have any of you? 

Standard is 60 percent coverage eggs larvae capped all in ratio
Frame to grow into and a frame of pantry pollen and honey.
Yeah
Its getting tough out there lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Supply and Demand.
From other Net sources I gather demand way outstrips supply
so with some the temptation exists to supply and rip into the
revenue stream.
Caveat Emptor applies.

Bill