Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Chaffhaye  (Read 1894 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Chaffhaye
« on: September 17, 2023, 02:58:00 pm »
One of our local farm stores started carrying Chaffhaye and my sister decided to try feeding it to her goats because she's heard so many good things about it.  Both the bags we purchased have sections of what looks like mold in them.  We were told by a neighbor who also feeds it that this is normal, since the feed is fermented, but these sections just don't look right and they don't smell good either.  Now this morning one of the goats is off her feed and has a low temperature, things that could be indicative of a fungal disease like goat polio (yes, goat polio is fungal, it's sort of a misnomer). 

Does anyone on here feed Chaffhaye?  What have your experiences been with it?  Is it normal for it to look like this (pictures below)?

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Chaffhaye
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 04:42:55 pm »
Reagan I wish I could help, but I have no experience with it and very little experience with goats. I do have a friend who knows alot about goats. In fact he helped in 'starting up' "Goat Days" in Millington, Tn. which I hear is a pretty big deal as far as goats are concerned. The next time I talk to him I will ask his advice. In the meantime maybe someone here will be able to help..

Phillip
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 08:52:36 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 03:03:38 pm »
My sister bought another bag and right in the top when she opened it was a giant gross mass of white and black mold, so she called the store and apparently we aren't the first to complain.  The store has only been selling Chaffhaye for about 6 months and apparently other people have returned several bags because it was moldy.  My sister is feeling somewhat disillusioned with it, but we may try buying from another store before we just give up on it.  (This farm store doesn't have the best reputation with us.)
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2023, 01:17:57 am »
Buying from another supplier wh8ch stocks another brand of Chaffhaye would be a good idea. It will be interesting to see your results..

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything