Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What is it? farmer was given a six sided set of beeboxes  (Read 5896 times)

Offline CaribBeeman

• New Bee
What is it? farmer was given a six sided set of beeboxes
« on: February 21, 2016, 12:35:29 am »
This small farmer knows that I am interested in beekeeping. A month ago he called me kind of excited. He is into organic farming, and some agriculture officials liked his project and and gave him a bee hive. He wants to know if I would like to help him since I already have a smoker and veil.
They gave him a set of six-sided boxes, that were stacked on top of each other (four boxes I think). the entrance is under the bottom box.
Anyone knows what kind of hive this is? sorry I dont have any pictures.

I tried an internet search and came up with something called a HEX hive. but this is not the same.

There are no frames inside. instead there are two thin strips of wood across the top of each box. the boxes are a brownish color, and is meant to mimic a hollow tree.
When the people were there, they made measurements of waves of some kind. either gravity of magnetic,  and showed him a location for the hive. they also said to face the entrance east.
He was told that there were bees on his land and they would find the hive and occupy it.

anywhere on the internet i can get information?

Offline Oblio13

• House Bee
    • Philosophizing with a Hammer
Re: What is it? farmer was given a six sided set of beeboxes
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 08:25:57 am »
The hive is a vertical top-bar. I'd love to see pics of it.

The measurement-of-waves thing sounds like mystical silliness.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 11:01:12 am »
Do a search on "hex hive".   The idea is that it simulates a hollow tree better.  The reality is that the frames/bars are not all interchangeable and that is a pain...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline CaribBeeman

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 11:53:07 am »
I did do some searching on the internet. The closest thing I came up with was the HEX hive which on the outside looks similar.
but this one does not have bars or frames of any kind inside. Just two thin parallel strips on the top of each box.

Offline CaribBeeman

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 12:01:12 pm »
the first question that came to my mind is what will they use attach the comb?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 10:17:37 am »
They will attach it in some way... but since there are not parallel bars every 1 1/4" or so they may go crossways so they have something to attach all the combs to.  hard to say.  I'd buy some chamfer molding and cut enough to fill it out to one bar every 1 1/4" all parallel in each box.  IF I put any bees in it...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline crmauch

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 04:19:08 pm »
The cross bars across the top of each box remind me of an Asian beekeeper article ( I apologize, I didn't mark it and cannot locate it at this time).  When they wanted to harvest honey, they took a piano wire and cut one of the hive bodies from the rest.  So basically that whole hive body would be harvested at once and the comb would be harvested along with the honey.  From what I've read for the U.S. there is a requirement that managed hives must have moveable frames.
Chris

Offline CaribBeeman

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 12:19:02 am »
They did say something about cutting the through comb with a wire to remove the top box.
the boxes are not painted. they have been charred or burnt as a means of preserving the wood.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 12:36:10 pm »
CaribBeeman,
The inside was not burnt for preserving the wood, that was done to kill AFB, American Foul Brood.

crmauch,
"From what I've read for the U.S. there is a requirement that managed hives must have moveable frames."

The rules are state by state. Most do, some do not. Check with your state agriculture agent. I grew up in PA, the rule does apply to you.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline CaribBeeman

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 03:46:14 pm »
Bees have moved in.

I went to have a look at the boxes. I saw no activity, waited a moment, then opened the top. A few bees started coming out. Well I am new to beekeeping so course I ran, but they did not follow me. Attached to the cover was a small ball of bees. comb was maybe 4 inches diameter. 

When I was there three weeks ago there were a dozen bees flying around the boxes. I guessed they were probably scouts. I helped them to move the boxes to the location they were told to put them.
My guess is the boxes came ready scented with lure?
anyway it worked. the bees moved in.

Offline Warre Boy

• Brood
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 01:44:20 pm »

Offline JConnolly

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 05:20:16 pm »
The bit about them measuring gravity or magnetic waves is complete hokum.  You can put that hive wherever you want.  The hive should be protected from harsh cold winds, and facing the entrance east or south isn't necessary except that morning sunshine warms the hive and helps the girls get out early.  I'd worry more about picking a direction that protects the entrance from wind driven rain first.  If that happens to east or south, then so be it.  Also, bees take 30 to 40 feet to get up to altitude if they fly straight out from the entrance, so if that's an issue (e.g. near a walkway or roadway) face the entrance another direction or face it towards a barrier (fence or barn) so they have to spiral up to altitude.

You are by no means locked into that location just because a crank with a bent wire muttered hocus-pocus.  Now that the bees are oriented to it, if you do move it, move it only a few feet at a time, or wait until dusk, then loosely stuff leaves in the entrance and the bees will re-orient in the morning.

(edit, fixed typo)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 09:23:33 pm by JConnolly »

Offline beecanbee

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 03:39:07 am »
For cerana, I use boxes, stacked one upon another, with no moveable frames, and use piano wire to separate and harvest.  Mine are square, but any shape will do.  They are essentially a step up from log hives - which cannot be added to, nor easily harvested from.  I create a top-grid, and paint it with melted wax.  I can always insert additional layers above the bottom section (which includes options for a screen, a front door for cleaning, and of course the entrance) but below the bottom of their ever-lowering comb.  In each layer, I do insert one set of cross members (BBQ skewers, or bamboo) in an x-configuration to support the comb, just in case I pull off a higher layer box too soon and cause the lower comb to fall.

Advantages are that this type of hive doesn`t need as much maintenance so is good for far away apiaries, is section-lighter than a log, uses scrap lumber, and is simply different.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."  Duncan Vandiver

A boy can do half the work of a man, but two boys do less, and three boys get nothing done at all. :)

(False) Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.  - Samuel Johnson

anything