Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: lesson learned (the hard way)  (Read 1892 times)

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
lesson learned (the hard way)
« on: September 01, 2008, 06:53:29 pm »
Ok, so a pretty good storm was blowing in and I keep the migratory covers on my hives back a little for a top entrance and to help with ventilation, so naturally this morning before the heavy rains hit I closed them up. They have other entrances down below and a few holes in the boxes as well.
Well, just as I suspected it was a down pour, it really came down for a few hours and I was glad that I closed them up.
The lesson comes in the reopening of them. I like the rookie beehaver that I am just stood in front of the hive and proceeded to slide back the cover. WOW!! :shock: I got hit 3 times before I even could duck for cover. The girls must have been ready for me or something and flew backwards at me to get me quickly. That or they have some little sling shot thing set up in there for such an occasion and sacrifce a few KamiKaze's for the greater good. Man, I got hit. I could not believe how fast.
Lesson learned.
My hives are just a few 100 feet from the house, so when I got back my wife was already in tears laughing, my oldest daughter kept saying, "I can't believe our girls betrayed you"...
I am so glad that my family finds comic relief in my suffering.  :? :?
F
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: lesson learned (the hard way)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 08:23:05 pm »
Frantz, what a good husband & Dad you are to provide live entertainment on this Holiday!!  Now your Daughter has stories to tell @ school tomorrow!!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 09:27:01 am »
Frantz,

I know exactly what you mean!  Sometimes the guard bees will "launch" themselves out of the hive like an jet fighter launching from an aircraft carrier! 

Now, I always use a veil if I am not using smoke.

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 05:41:37 pm »
ROFLMAO....Thanks...my swollen arm and hand are no less swollen by I am laughing!!! My girls beat me like a step child yesterday...and I was of course not suited up..then suited..no gloves...yup...zing on the hand...I was going to give them EXTRA sugar water...but not after that..it's back to 1:1 for those little buggers!
Thanks for the humor!
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 07:17:38 pm »
It's like they can aim as they fly and launch the stinger as soon as they hit.  I just can't imagine how they can do it so fast!  Good defense strategy!