Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pollen Trap  (Read 2820 times)

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
Pollen Trap
« on: May 03, 2008, 09:57:18 am »
Does anyone have the Betterbee Anatomic Plastic Pollen Trap? How does it work? I'm wondering if plastic can be as good as the wooden pollen traps, they are certaintly cheaper and it has the same desighn as the wooden traps.

Heres a picture of it:

Offline Dick Allen

• House Bee
Re: Pollen Trap
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 01:02:50 pm »
I have one that I've used. Generally, I prefer the bottom mounted traps as they don't need emptying as often and the pollen will mostly stay dry if it rains. The plastic front mounted trap needs to be emptied about every day. Also, it if rains the pollen becomes a soggy mess.  There is less area for the bees to go through than in a bottom mounted trap, so the bees seem to get backed up at the entrance when there is a good flow going on.  With that said, the one I have does collect pollen in appreciable amounts. They also work good if you happen to be using a top bar hive. And the price is pretty decent.

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 05:32:12 pm »
Thats what I was looking at the price. All the way from 13.95 to 49.95 for a sundance is quite a jump and i just cant afford that right now maybe in the future, but if it collects pollen ill take it for that price. All it needs to do is get enogh pollen so that i can feed it back to my bees during the early spring.

Thanks for your answer

Offline Dick Allen

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 07:28:30 pm »
Most likely the bees will store plenty enough pollen to get them through winter and next spring without having to be fed. I collect pollen, but I do it for customers who eat it themselves (including yours truly :) ).

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 08:30:46 pm »
Dick Allen you eat it plain by itself or on stuff.

Thanks for your answers last night i ordered it and it should be here this week. I hope that it works.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 09:42:53 pm by JordanM »