Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Keeping your smoker lit...  (Read 6201 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Keeping your smoker lit...
« on: December 19, 2020, 05:02:43 pm »
At Beefest 2020, I learned that I wasn't packing my smoker nearly well enough. After that, I pack in handful after handful of pine needles, however...
1. Does everyone use the breather plate that goes in the bottom of the smoker?
2. Do you light a small fire in the bottom and pack it afterwards, or do you use a propane torch and light the smoker from the outside by torching the side?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 05:20:58 pm by Bob Wilson »

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Keeping your smoker lit...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 06:19:33 pm »
I've used different fuels, and late last season I started using waste hay/straw, since we had a lot around, and I've really been enjoying using that.  Easy to light, free, and not acrid like pine chips/straw.   
1. I do use the breather plate, although with hay I probably wouldn't need to.  I just never bothered to take it out when I switched from pine shavings to hay. 
2. I light a small fire and get it really going.  Then I loosely fill up the smoker and let it continue to have a lot of air while I get suited up, then right before I got up to the hives I pack it down full.  I put some damp hay in as the final handful in the top to keep the smoke cool and help the fire to smolder instead of burn fast and hot.  I usually inspect 2-4 hives at a time, just for reference. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 06:57:36 pm »
Packing the fuel tends to bend and collapse the legs of my breathing plate. I wondered if everyone uses it.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 07:15:04 pm »
Packing the fuel tends to bend and collapse the legs of my breathing plate. I wondered if everyone uses it.
Mine doesn't have legs, it's just a plate with holes that sits in an indentation right above the level of the bellows entrance.  It is so stuck in with burnt on gunk that I will probably have trouble removing it for cleaning. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 07:43:08 pm »
I keep the breather plate in all the time to help with air flow and stuff the smoker about 1/2 full of dry pine needles which get lit by a propane torch. I open up a channel down along the side of the fuel and really hit it with the torch till the fire flames out the top of the smoker. After that I add more pine needles or dry cut grass while running the bellows. As a final fuel I add a small piece of fat wood or resin soaked pine bark which really can put out a lot of smoke and lasts longer than just pine needles. Of course some days I just can't get a smoker lit even  with an atom bomb. LOL

Offline JojoBeeBoy

• House Bee
    • @joebeewhisperer on Instagram
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 08:27:05 pm »
I never even thought about taking the breather thingy out. I never pack mine to the point that it would bend the legs, but consistent smoker performance eludes me. I'm using pine straw now and I get a better result if I take a minute to start a paper towel or something in the bottom, then some pine straw (long-leaf needles), then let that all flame up and another small folded up bit, then more flames, then more packing, then close it up. Kinda have to twist the stuff to get the top closed.

I have my first hive sitting on a piece of OSB that's wider than the hive. I keep a hive tool and barbecue lighter stick lying on the OSB so it's handy. My smoker has seen better days as it spends much of the busy season outside. The bellows now consists of duct tape, but it works ok. The pine needles produce thick smoke but they cause a lot of caking of creosote on the inside. Sometimes have to chip some out. For the first couple of years I would grab a handful of tall sage grass out of the field, or clippings from mowing as both were within a few feet of where I was working. Again, I've gotten stung many times while pumping on a smoker that's gone out, so no expert.

Offline jimineycricket

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 08:47:53 pm »
I leave the breather thingy in, light about half piece of wadded up paper, drop it into the bottom of the smoker.  Then drop a few dry pine needles on top of that.  I use lodgepole pine needles which are only 2 to 3 inches.   Pump the bellows, make it burn, drop in more pine needles.  Do that several times;  then put in a loose handful of pine needles and make it burn.  Do handfuls a couple times.  You should have a good roaring fire by now.  Stuff it full and tight and use it!
jimmy

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020, 09:39:16 pm »
Try gathering pine straw that has been shredded by being run over on a road.  It breaks down the needles.

Pine straw is low in cellulose.  But when shredded straw is lit, then a compressed handful on top will make some cool white smoke.

Mine will get blazing so fast, that to plug it/slow it down, I use a pine cone core that a squirrel has chewed away.  It's the perfect size.  The cone drops halfway into the spout.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2020, 11:43:18 pm »
1.  Yes I use the breather plate.
2.  I put a couple handfuls of needles in smoker and light them.  Puff on bellows until I have some of the needles forming a "hot coal" base.  I ball up a bunch of needles and add it while continuing to squeeze the bellows as necessary.  Repeat until smoker if full. 

I do try to get in the habit of squeezing the bellows every so often just to keep it going well so, when I need it it is ready to go.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2020, 01:20:22 am »
I don't have enough pine needles.  I use burlap most of the time.  Folded lengthwise, rolled up, lit on the frayed end and then packed tight.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2020, 02:32:06 am »
1.  Yes I use the breather plate.
2.  I put a couple handfuls of needles in smoker and light them.  Puff on bellows until I have some of the needles forming a "hot coal" base.  I ball up a bunch of needles and add it while continuing to squeeze the bellows as necessary.  Repeat until smoker if full. 

I do try to get in the habit of squeezing the bellows every so often just to keep it going well so, when I need it it is ready to go.

Except for choice of fuel type, I do basically the same. Difference is instead of worrying with squeezing the bellows every so often to keep it going, I simply flip the top open after each use, until ready for reuse. I have found this un-hinderous step will allow the (coals) as you put it, to stay lit just enough without wasting fuel. When again ready to use, puff a couple times, flip the lid shut and the thick cool smoke is ready to go. Repeat in between times of useage. 
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2020, 08:19:48 am »
If you remove the breather plate you cannot pack the fuel tight enough and you will get an uneven burn.
I welded three strips of stainless sheet metal to the plate such that they reach the top rolled edge of the can.  This prevents the plate from flipping over when packing or coming out when I turn the smoker upside down to clean.  If I want to take the plate out I just have to  clear the three strips from the ridge and pull it out by grabbing one of them and pulling up.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2020, 08:40:20 am »
 I think part of my dissatisfaction is that I am trying to make a cheap smoker burn like a more expensive one. I remember now that at Beefest, some of the guys joked about my junior size smoker, short and fat. :cheesy:
Thanks for all the postings.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2020, 06:43:55 pm »
Here is a repost on how to light a five hour smoker. I teach this method at several bee clubs in this area.
How to light a smoker.
If you have pine trees, pick up a large double handful of them.
Take a small amount of the needles, roll them up and light the end. Use your hive tool to push them into your smoker, lightly. Puff it until it is shooting flames out of the top of the open smoker.
Take another larger handful of needles and roll them up real tight and push them in the smoker with your hive tool (HT). Then while puffing it push it down tight with your HT.  Do this again to pack it real tight.
Keep puffing while packing. Fill it full and close the lid. It will last for about 4 hours or more. At about 4 hours you will need to pack it tight again.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Dan D

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2020, 10:42:43 pm »
No pine needle supply here, but I have woodworking projects in the shop and keep planer shredded hardwood for the smoker.  Oak, maple, now to try cherry this spring, they sound like they work like pine needles.  With the vent plate in place I put a small amount of shreds in and flame it with propane torch till it's burning. I flame it up for a bit and add more, flaming it up again. When it has been flamed up a couple times after adding a bit, I pack it full and tight as I need to depending on my need. Packed tighter and full it will go for 4-5 hours.  2 big trash bags full got last year smoked. I am pretty much ready for spring with a new supply.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2020, 11:26:55 pm »
Jim, that's the way I learned from you. It is much better. I might buy a 10" smoker soon. With a 7" smoker, minus the amost 2" for the breather plate, I get a small cavity for fuel.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2020, 05:34:32 am »
read reply #6, it how you start the smoker that counts.
Bob, haven't you been told "size doesn't matter, its how you use it that counts", that includes smokers.
My smoker is 6 1/2" high with a 4" dia barrel, if lit properly will run all day, keep it fuelled to keep the smoke cool.
Fuel, anything, hessian, eucalyptus leaves, pine needles, dry cow manure, hay but burns too quick. Best combo is pine needles and cow manure. The cow manure smoulders slowly.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 06:47:03 am by Oldbeavo »

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2020, 02:33:55 pm »
I start the smoker like Jim but about 1/2 full of pine straw I finish with Pecan Hulls, it smells good and last several hours.  I am fortunate to have an unlimited supply of the pecan hulls, for those that don't know what Pecans are, it is a delicious nut that is plentiful in my area, actually the smoke last longer than I do.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2020, 08:12:04 pm »
Yes, I use the breather plate.  I burn wood pellets used for grilling.  I'm in a tropical environment, so there's not a lot of our foliage burns.  I light it from the top, shake it, light more, and do it a third time to ensure enough pellets are lit.  Only downside I've encountered is the compressed pellets burn hotter than other materials, but so long as you're mindful of this, it can be taken into account when using.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2020, 08:44:52 pm »
No pine needle supply here, but I have woodworking projects in the shop and keep planer shredded hardwood for the smoker.  Oak, maple, now to try cherry this spring, they sound like they work like pine needles.  With the vent plate in place I put a small amount of shreds in and flame it with propane torch till it's burning. I flame it up for a bit and add more, flaming it up again. When it has been flamed up a couple times after adding a bit, I pack it full and tight as I need to depending on my need. Packed tighter and full it will go for 4-5 hours.  2 big trash bags full got last year smoked. I am pretty much ready for spring with a new supply.

Don D Welcome to Beemaster!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything