Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nectar not being capped.  (Read 3143 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Nectar not being capped.
« on: July 03, 2020, 05:59:56 pm »
I know that the bees have to dehydrate the nectar before they cap it, but i keep seeing lots of nectar comb, half filled and little getting capped. It is the same as last year. I would think the bees would cap one side of a frame before they start filling the next frame. One frame at a time. I seem to see multiple frames with half filled cells, spread through out my hives.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
Re: Nectar not being capped.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 06:22:21 pm »
i think they are waiting for more nectar to fill the cells, they will have died it back but open cells can absorb moisture if they are left open and stored open.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 06:49:49 pm »
I don't know about where you are in GA, Bob, but right now I have a major flow on, and my bees have many frames of uncapped honey because they are bringing in nectar much faster than they can dehydrate it.  Are your bees drawing comb right now?       
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 11:16:27 pm »
Very little drawn comb in the last two weeks. I am pretty sure we are in dearth for the summer. A lot of bees in the hives but not a lot of eggs and larva, as if the queens are cutting back on the population. Ah well. We shall see.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 12:04:46 am »
I don't know about where you are in GA, Bob, but right now I have a major flow on, and my bees have many frames of uncapped honey because they are bringing in nectar much faster than they can dehydrate it.  Are your bees drawing comb right now?     

A major flow, beginning July??  I?ll bet it that sourwood, the world renowned honey, one of my favorite.  I am envious, but so happy for you Ms Member, so enjoy.  A dearth for certain in my area in July.  No complaints, just the fact.

Bob, the best I can say is the bees know what they are doing, especially 2 years in a row doing same thing: half filling cells,  I don?t know why but as mentioned probably related to dehydration as my Bud, down under texted.

Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 12:30:37 am »
>Bob, the best I can say is the bees know what they are doing, especially 2 years in a row doing same thing:

I agree  with you Mr Van. Bob, what was the outcome lsat year regarding this same situation?  How did things unfold? It will be interesting to hear your answer.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 12:38:43 am »
A major flow, beginning July??  I?ll bet it that sourwood, the world renowned honey, one of my favorite.  I am envious, but so happy for you Ms Member, so enjoy.  A dearth for certain in my area in July.  No complaints, just the fact.

Bob, the best I can say is the bees know what they are doing, especially 2 years in a row doing same thing: half filling cells,  I don?t know why but as mentioned probably related to dehydration as my Bud, down under texted.

Blessings
Yes sir, Mr. Van, the sourwood flow has just started!  I've got almost all of my supers on, and the bees are cranking through the frames!  I'll be harvesting in 2 weeks if not before.  I guess I just don't realize how lucky I am in my area; we really don't have a summer dearth because of the sourwood flow. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 01:03:27 am »
Well Membeer, Hum! I am glad you are in the flow of flows but last year when we were talking about this, my mouth was drooling over the sourwood and I did not get one OZ of the good stuff from you.  :shocked:  If I remember correctly all I got was a tongue stuck out at me for my effort.  lol
 :grin: :wink:
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2020, 09:45:33 am »
Member. When I sell this house and move a little further in the countryside in a year or so, I am going to plant Lindon trees, Southwood, maple, and other nectar trees for a ling succession of honeyflow. I am on the souther edge of sour wood.
Ben. Last year was year 1 for my caught swarm. If I remember right, the summer and fall  showed a lot of half frames of uncapped nectar also. The bees have 5 or 6 frames of open nectar. Only one of them heavy. The other 4-5 frames are rather light frames with a dab of nectar in each cell.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2020, 10:57:27 am »
Well Membeer, Hum! I am glad you are in the flow of flows but last year when we were talking about this, my mouth was drooling over the sourwood and I did not get one OZ of the good stuff from you.  :shocked:  If I remember correctly all I got was a tongue stuck out at me for my effort.  lol
Hmm, that's interesting because the way I remember it, I was REALLY sticking out my tongue because I was licking all that delicious sourwood honey off of my fingers, so I didn't waste even one drop.  Mmmmm. . . .  :tongue: :cheesy:

Member. When I sell this house and move a little further in the countryside in a year or so, I am going to plant Lindon trees, Southwood, maple, and other nectar trees for a ling succession of honeyflow. I am on the souther edge of sour wood.
That sounds awesome, Bob.  There is nothing better to plant for bees than flowering trees.   

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2020, 08:49:26 pm »
>    Hmm, that's interesting because the way I remember it, I was REALLY sticking out my tongue because I was licking all that delicious sourwood honey off of my fingers, so I didn't waste even one drop.  Mmmmm. . . .  :tongue: :cheesy:

:tongue: :grin: lol

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2020, 08:58:35 pm »

Ya, I remember that Mr. Ben, Phil.  Member post a pic of her beautiful sourwood honey.  I was drooling. I could not stand it!   However: I got some real sourwood honey, 3 bottles no less: I texted Ms. Member and she provided a link to a business that she knows has real sourwood.  The sourwood honey is so delightful, so light, so delicate, so delicious, so flavorful.  Thanks again Ms. Member.  The trick is to find real sourwood.  The honey is so sought after there is a lot of mislabeled stuff.

Cheers
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2020, 09:56:17 pm »

Ya, I remember that Mr. Ben, Phil.  Member post a pic of her beautiful sourwood honey.  I was drooling. I could not stand it!   However: I got some real sourwood honey, 3 bottles no less: I texted Ms. Member and she provided a link to a business that she knows has real sourwood.  The sourwood honey is so delightful, so light, so delicate, so delicious, so flavorful.  Thanks again Ms. Member.  The trick is to find real sourwood.  The honey is so sought after there is a lot of mislabeled stuff.

Cheers
See, Phillip, if you aren't greedy and ask nicely, I can show you where to get the good stuff.  :wink: :cheesy:  You are most welcome, once again, Mr. Van, and you are absolutely right, there is a lot of mislabeled sourwood sold.  I know because I've bought some in the past!  Sorry, Bob, we seem to be getting off topic here.  Sourwood just makes everyone go crazy!  :grin:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2020, 12:35:38 am »
> See, Phillip, if you aren't greedy and ask nicely, I can show you where to get the good stuff.  :wink: :cheesy:

Well I suppose you are right about the nice part, but Member it?s not all my fault! Iddee and Cider; they are partially to blame! I had to learn quickly how to defend myself there in the Coffeehouse.  Those characters play rough!! 😂
:shocked:

Yes sorry Bob, I will refraine from more sourwood talk on your topic..  😁😁

.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 12:58:13 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2020, 02:06:51 am »
Sometimes adding a medium above the super can speed up the capping process.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2020, 07:43:51 am »
Bees will do things in their time,  they know why they are not capping the honey, and it us mere mortals that try to figure it out.
in a big flow they cap quick, in a dribble flow or once it stops so does the capping.
Unless you can talk to your bees, leave them to sort it out.

Remember, bees spend alot of time fixing our good decisions that didn't really suit them.
Human logic does not equal bee logic.
The decision makers of the hive are female and i have not been successful second guessing what females need or want.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2020, 08:19:22 am »
What you just said Oldbeavo sparked a thought. If the flow there is over, why would the bees cap what is left? Resources are needed to make wax. Why waste already gathered nectar, for capping while they are most likely pulling from it anyway, or soon may be, as they are using those same resources for survival of the colony. Survival of the colony is why they gather nectar in the first place? Now that is a guess and only a guess. lol

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2020, 09:42:53 am »
Ok so if the honey cell isnt capped would it begin to ferment? And if it is ripe honey then wouldn't it be drawing moisture out of the humid air?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2020, 10:14:39 am »
Skeggly I was wondering what the outcome may be as Bob originally said the following.

> I know that the bees have to dehydrate the nectar before they cap it, but i keep seeing lots of nectar comb, half filled and little getting capped. It is the same as last year.

That is why I ask him what was the outcome last year. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2020, 10:23:30 am »
Jeff Horchoff just pulled over six thousand pounds of honey. He mentioned several hives had plenty more was not capped yet. He left those alone and said he would pick those up in the fall when they would be capped. Location is always a factor. He is from Southern Louisiana. Bob I hope you have a good fall flow and your hive is overflowing by the time all is said and done.