Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Preserving Goat Horns  (Read 2366 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Preserving Goat Horns
« on: December 12, 2023, 08:50:07 pm »
We are going to try and preserve the horns from two of the goats from this season (my sister tried not disbudding, but she wouldn't do it again).  We are thinking about using them as the bait for a maggot bucket for the chickens, Justin Rhodes style (Google it, if you don't know what I'm talking about), since I've heard maggots will clean out horns pretty well, but we'll see.  I haven't looked deeply into it yet.  Anyone have any experience with preserving horns? 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 11:05:05 am by The15thMember »
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online animal

• Queen Bee
Re: Preserving Goat Horns
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2023, 11:51:16 pm »
googled it ... yuck :cheesy:
horns ... you mean the keratin sheath with tissue left inside after pulling it off the bone or is bone still inside ?
If they're still attached to the skull,you can boil it and whack the base of the horn with a rubber or leather mallet all the way around ... and when you feel it wobble (and the sound the hammer strike makes will change) .. pull/twist it off. A pressure washer will remove the rest of the goo and tissue from the inside of the sheath (just be aware that if you're not careful, you'll get it in the face).
Dunno about maggots, but fire ants will chew/damage the keratin... and if you leave the skull on the mound too long, they'll even damage the  bone. Not sure how the keratin would fare in the "juicy" environment of your gut bucket either.

If they were sawn off the skull and the bone is inside, you might lag screw a piece of 2x4 to the bone to "replace" the skull, but I don't know. It would have to be a really fat lag screw
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 12:04:24 am by animal »
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2023, 12:09:05 am »
Dunno about maggots, but fire ants will chew/damage the keratin... and if you leave the skull on the mound too long, they'll even damage the  bone.
I honestly don't think we really have fire ants here.  I've never had an encounter with any, and I'd think by now I would have if they were around. 

Not sure how the keratin would fare in the "juicy" environment of your gut bucket either.
We don't have a maggot bucket currently, I was just thinking of putting the horns in a maggot bucket setup. 

If they were sawn off the skull and the bone is inside, you might lag screw a piece of 2x4 to the bone to "replace" the skull, but I don't know. It would have to be a really fat lag screw
We sawed them off the skull, and didn't keep the skull, so the bone is still in there.  We tried pulling the sheath off on the bigger goat on butchering day, but it wasn't working and we didn't feel like wasting more time with it then.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2023, 12:17:01 am »
If extended boiling won't damage the sheath, you could do it until it's crock pot tender and get the bone out with a pair of channel lock pliers.
Cow horns can take it, would think a goat horn could too. Heat will soften cow horn so it can be shaped.

No fire ants ? You poor thing ! You don't know what you're missing. :cheesy:
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2023, 11:18:50 am »
Maggots work well enough.  A fire ant hill will also eat the meat.  Once the meat between the bone and the horn is gone they will come off of the bone.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2024, 01:47:50 pm »
How'd it end up turning out Reagan? I'm getting ready to butcher a ram lamb and was planning to keep his horns as well.
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2024, 02:21:06 pm »
We haven't done it yet, it's still not warm enough for maggots.  :grin:

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2024, 02:46:20 pm »
I bet putting them in a compost worm bin they'd help clean it up as well. If you have compost worms...in bins :cheesy:

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2024, 03:12:16 pm »
Wonder how meal worms would do cleaning them?  They eat just about everything!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2024, 03:13:02 pm »
I bet putting them in a compost worm bin they'd help clean it up as well. If you have compost worms...in bins :cheesy:
I don't at the moment, but I'd like to.  It's something I'm going to try and work toward this year actually.  I was joking with my sister that I'm becoming the designated bug keeper on the farm.  :grin:

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2024, 05:38:31 pm »
JR does black soldier fly larvae containers for free chicken feed, right?

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2024, 06:16:21 pm »
JR does black soldier fly larvae containers for free chicken feed, right?
I'm not sure exactly what maggots they are.  My mom watches Justin Rhodes all the times, but I'm not big on YouTube for pleasure honestly, so she just showed me the clip once.