Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: comb on top of the frames  (Read 3511 times)

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
Re: comb on top of the frames
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2024, 08:00:28 pm »
You also get pollen bread and any larvae that might bee in the comb.
Jim Altmiller
Won't a queen excluder prevent the latter?

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2024, 10:38:52 pm »
Firstly, are you basing your opinion of honey on real honey from a beekeeper?  Because anything off a store shelf is barely honey in my opinion.  There are so many flavors and varieties of honey that I can't imagine not being able to find one that you love.  Secondly, have you ever had really high quality comb honey?  When we talk about eating comb honey, we aren't really talking about what you are describing here. ... high quality comb honey is going to be extremely thin fast-drawn white wax that will basically dissolve in your mouth.  I feel like if your impression of comb honey is "waxy", then either you are very sensitive to the wax or the comb honey you had wasn't the best.     
First Q, before having bees, I bought honey from a family run plumbing store ... (cardboard box full of jars, and a price on the box. Drop money in the box, pull out a jar of honey, mostly an honor system thing. The guy who had the bees was a friend of the plumbing store family... he would go by, pick up the money and put more jars in the box) It tasted noticeably better than WalMart honey I don't know exactly how to describe the difference except a fuller flavor but still light. I have no idea of it's grading or if you would call it quality. It usually was a little cloudy, not much, but not crystal clear either.

Second Q, I'm probably sensitive to the wax, as you put it. I tried some of the white wax honeycomb (and the gold stuff too) from the same cut-out and didn't care for it. It's not the flavor that I didn't care for, nor the texture either really. It was more about the feeling that my mouth was coated with wax afterward. To me, the wax itself was flavorless,  so it just tasted like honey. Kinda "what's the point of adding wax to it?". Come to think about it, there are several store-bought chocolates that seem full of wax too, but that's to keep it from melting.  And .. It's not that I dislike honey, it just can't stand alone. (If I'm in the mood, I could probably eat my weight in baklava.) But, if I have a piece of toast and am craving something sweet, I'm much more likely to grab the maple syrup than the honey... even though I'm cheap and the price of the real stuff has gotten astronomical. I would grab the honey before the fake maple stuff, though. Honey is good in tea sometimes, but I usually prefer it unsweetened. One of the few gripes I have about southern food is why so many in the south like to drink tea flavored syrup.  Anyway, I'm probably just strange and like the slumgummy flavor?
Truth be told, I've never bought comb honey except when the kids asked for it. When I was a kid, one grandmother loved the stuff and always had it around ... I didn't care for it then. I don't remember her buying it so I don't know where she got it. She had several things delivered from local farmer-ish people ... eggs, milk, veggies, I remember ... not honey, but it's possible, maybe even likely. Crayfish, oysters and shrimp too, but they were caught rather than farmed.     
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2024, 11:18:36 pm »
You also get pollen bread and any larvae that might bee in the comb.
Jim Altmiller
Won't a queen excluder prevent the latter?
Yes, as will harvesting from above a more or less full super.  That's how I keep larvae (and really pollen too, honestly) out of my honey, since I don't use QXes.  A queen usually won't cross a honey barrier to lay eggs.  As long as I leave a box for them and only take honey from the box above it, I've never had brood in my honey, and I really don't have pollen up there either, since the bees usually like to store that closer to the brood, where it's needed.     

First Q, before having bees, I bought honey from a family run plumbing store ... (cardboard box full of jars, and a price on the box. Drop money in the box, pull out a jar of honey, mostly an honor system thing. The guy who had the bees was a friend of the plumbing store family... he would go by, pick up the money and put more jars in the box) It tasted noticeably better than WalMart honey I don't know exactly how to describe the difference except a fuller flavor but still light. I have no idea of it's grading or if you would call it quality. It usually was a little cloudy, not much, but not crystal clear either.     
That qualifies as real to me.  Grading honey as quality based on clarity (something frequently done at county fairs and the like) is not a practice I agree with.  Different honeys display different clarities naturally, and for honey that isn't naturally crystal clear, I'd prefer it not be excessively filtered to achieve clarity.   

Anyway, I'm probably just strange and like the slumgummy flavor?

You're not alone in that actually.  I've heard of people who really like that strong almost burnt flavor in their honey.  I'm just not one of them.  :grin:  I like strong honeys, and even the slumgum honey I could eat, but it's not my preference, and I don't usually sell that honey because I'm worried customers might be off-put by it. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2024, 12:20:56 am »

You're not alone in that actually.  I've heard of people who really like that strong almost burnt flavor in their honey.  I'm just not one of them.  :grin:  I like strong honeys, and even the slumgum honey I could eat, but it's not my preference, and I don't usually sell that honey because I'm worried customers might be off-put by it.

On this we are birds of a feather.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2024, 12:31:56 am »
When I was a kid, one way honey was sold in the store was in a round plastic squeeze bottle. I am thinking it was Sue Bee Company who use to put a small square chuck of comb honey in this container, then filling the container the rest of the way up with honey. The clean looking white comb honey looked like it was floating in the clear golden surrounding honey. You could also buy it this way in glass jars. That was my first experience with comb honey.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2024, 03:43:59 am »
Freshly extracted honey is often cloudy. Tiny air bubbles, bits of bee, wax and pollen particles often contribute to the slight discolouration.  After a few weeks, heavies settle to the bottom and the lighter particles float to the top and honey clarity improves. The small layer on top of a bucket of honey is what I skim off before bottling. That?s the honey that we eat. We live in a modern world where everything we touch or consume has to be triple vacuum wrapped, crystal clear, signed with a note from your mother to say it is pure and then given a date by which we have to eat it. We are becoming very precious. It?s good to hear people talking about the simple things in life especially related to beekeeping.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2024, 04:46:24 am »
Usually when I see cloudy honey it is because there was pollen bread in the honey, due to cold use and strain. If you use an extractor, it he pollen bread stays in the comb because it is too thick to come out of the cell. If you are doing crush and strain and are concerned about cloudiness, bee sure to cut out all of the cells with any pollen in them. As I mentioned before, larvae cause the same problem.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2024, 06:24:20 am »
>When I was a kid, one way honey was sold in the store was in a round plastic squeeze bottle. I am thinking it was Sue Bee Company who use to put a small square chuck of comb honey in this container, then filling the container the rest of the way up with honey.

I've never seen comb in a squeeze bottle.  I've seen that done in glass jars and it's called chunk honey.  It makes a very pretty and interesting product.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2024, 06:41:23 am »
Other than clarity of the honey, are there any advantages or disadvantages of having pollen in it?

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2024, 07:02:25 am »
Honey with pollen in it is better for your health.  It also crystallizes quickly.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2024, 08:37:11 am »
Depending on the pollen collected, it can have an aftertaste that I don?t particularly enjoy. I usually notice it when I do cutouts. No frames to extract. 😊 All crush and strain.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2024, 08:43:31 am »
>When I was a kid, one way honey was sold in the store was in a round plastic squeeze bottle. I am thinking it was Sue Bee Company who use to put a small square chuck of comb honey in this container, then filling the container the rest of the way up with honey.

I've never seen comb in a squeeze bottle.  I've seen that done in glass jars and it's called chunk honey.  It makes a very pretty and interesting product.

Its been so long that my memory is a bit foggy. I do remember in glass jars as well, but the small piece in the plastic round is what stands out to me in my  memory. The bottle also had a stamped on honey comb on the outside of the container, and the mouth of the plastic round was as wide as the bottle in circumference. (again if memory serves me correctly.) 

Wait; It just came back to me! The brand was Fisher's Honey!   :grin:

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2024, 06:46:52 am »
Depending on the pollen collected, it can have an aftertaste that I don?t particularly enjoy. I usually notice it when I do cutouts. No frames to extract. 😊 All crush and strain.
Jim Altmiller

I like it golden light in color, and clear on a hot buttermilk biscuit with melted butter. lol  Mmmmm good!

anything