Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Robbing screens question  (Read 4500 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Robbing screens question
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2019, 11:49:49 pm »
It is a good idea to use them during dearth?s on nucs and small hives. That is when most robbing will occur.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2019, 01:20:34 am »
Cao, I went back and scrolled up and found those pictures.

A question to you experienced keepers which use this. Will using regular door screening instead of 1/8 inch hardware cloth, detour hive beetles form entering the hive as well, or will they finally find their way in the entrance hole as the home bees? My guess is they will find their way in.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2019, 06:55:43 am »
They are a good prevention, as well as a cure, so they can be used either way
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2019, 11:53:32 am »
They are a good prevention, as well as a cure, so they can be used either way

Other than observing the behavior, is there a way to tell when to put the screens on?
Or do you just put them on to make sure you are not late?

Cao, I went back and scrolled up and found those pictures.

A question to you experienced keepers which use this. Will using regular door screening instead of 1/8 inch hardware cloth, detour hive beetles form entering the hive as well, or will they finally find their way in the entrance hole as the home bees? My guess is they will find their way in.
Phillip

Is you answer here for both above questions about your robbing screen, or one or the other? Please clarify.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2019, 01:43:48 pm »
Screen may be seen as a wall, where 1/8 is seen as a fence. Bees may find the entrance if seen as a wall. As for SHB, most are using 1/8 screen bottoms, so the SHB will enter there. I use 1/8 because it prevents robbing and makes moving easy. I use other forms of SHB control.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2019, 03:35:47 pm »
Thank you Jvalentour & Iddee for the recommendations.

I have a short rant - My one complaint about online shopping, is the lack of description on function, and the lack of photo's that allow for understanding of function - specifically for us "new folks". Mannlake is really bad about it - imho - their photos and descriptions are targeted for the expert who "already knows" ... which makes no sense (to me), because those people are far more likely to "make their own" because of their knowledge. Whereas, us beginner types would often rather buy the solution if we understood it. Since we don't understand, and they don't give enough explanation, we/I are/am pushed away from a purchase more often than not. ... rant finished. :grin:

Unfortunately my schedule is busy enough, that I'd rather buy a working solution (if i understand it) for now, than struggle thru the learning curve to save money. Thanks all for the help with this. I think I've got it now.

I'll pick some up - hopefully that will help with Splits/Nucs success rates in the future.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2019, 12:24:13 pm »
I think window screen might work. I use it on my upper vents and when there is robbing issues they are covered with bees. Not sure how much it would help with hive beetles but probably a little. Might be worth a try especially if you don't have any 1/8 hardware cloth.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2019, 12:29:02 pm »
I think window screen might work. I use it on my upper vents and when there is robbing issues they are covered with bees. Not sure how much it would help with hive beetles but probably a little. Might be worth a try especially if you don't have any 1/8 hardware cloth.

Thanks Ed. I have the 1/8 but was thinking out side the box. Was wondering, why not just use window  screen as Small Hive Beetles can access the 1/8?  Window screen is Cheaper and may serve a two fold purpose?  Appreciate you Ed
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 03:09:11 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2019, 07:24:03 pm »
Fwiw - the reason I used window screen ... 'cause that's all I had in a hurry.  :grin: :cheesy:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2019, 07:54:18 pm »
Fwiw - the reason I used window screen ... 'cause that's all I had in a hurry.  :grin: :cheesy:

Haa haa I like it Alan.... That was funny, 😄 !!  But Practical!! Hats 🎩 off to you Sir!

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2019, 09:21:36 am »
Cool,
I don't think window screen will hurt or help anything.  It will decrease circulation in the hive. 
As far as SHB, they enter the hive from any opening, cracks, AO holes, uneven boxes, knot holes, etc.  Keeping your hives really strong is the best deterrent for SHB.

IMO putting the robber screen on when you make the split is the best way to go.  This time of year make your splits/nucs strong.  I spent the weekend making splits, the week before was getting equipment ready which included robber screens on the nucs.  (I elected to try eliminating the lower entrance of the nucs and drilled a 1" hole entrance when I ran out of robber screens).

The robber screens are also nice moving screens, smoke them in just before dark, close the entrance and make the move, then reopen the entrance.  I use the nearest branch with a bungy cord to distract them when they exit the new location.  If I'm in a hurry I'll lean a bottom board or 2x4 at the entrance to make them pause, (yesterday I used rope in front of the nucs with the 1" entrance).  Moving the hives is more traumatic for the beekeep than the bees. 

Robber screens will not prevent mice infestation, remove them late fall and put on your mouse screens or what ever you use for mice. 

Time is an issue for me as I don't live near my hives.  Fast easy and cheap is how I manage my hives.  Like you as a beginner I purchased a lot of equipment to try it out, if it was worth duplicating I did so, if not I purchased or moved on.

The BeezNeedz product does seem superior to the Mann Lake product, when I get some spare change I'll pick up a few.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2019, 07:49:18 pm »

Other than observing the behavior, is there a way to tell when to put the screens on?
Or do you just put them on to make sure you are not late?

Good question ^^^^. I?d like to know as well.

Incognito/Nock ... sorry I didn't answer this earlier. To tell the truth, I've been trying to figure out the answer to that question too.

Here's what I've figured out so far ... at my location, I have to put robbing screens on every smaller hive, or they will get robbed out completely in short order. Case-in-point - I had a double nuc (about 2 months old queen) get robbed out in 1 day. I never saw it happen. 1 afternoon everything was fine. The next afternoon I saw a lot of wax particles on the landing board. Opened the hive - empty, ripped apart. No stores.

So now, I've started placing screens on every small hive/nuc. That seems to be working. Every location is different - but that's what I have to do.

Hope this helps.

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2019, 11:58:03 pm »
Based on replies to this topic I have not put on a robbing screen.
As of last week, all of the colonies seem to be doing fine with no signs of confrontation on the outside of the hives. Stores are all intact and slowly increasing inside the hives. I am assuming that there is just enough nectar nearby so that robbing is not necessary.
Tom

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2019, 12:21:20 am »
Based on replies to this topic I have not put on a robbing screen.
As of last week, all of the colonies seem to be doing fine with no signs of confrontation on the outside of the hives. Stores are all intact and slowly increasing inside the hives. I am assuming that there is just enough nectar nearby so that robbing is not necessary.

Tom, I am glad to hear all is running smooth for you. I hope your son is still as enthusiastic about the bees as are you! It is a special thing to have such a basic fellowship between you two as provided by nature, to be shared.  A gift to you and your son from God above. Cherish the times.

PS Watch  those ticks!  :grin:
Phillip
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 02:42:40 am by Ben Framed »

anything