Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Relaxing In or Global Warming  (Read 2747 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Relaxing In or Global Warming
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2024, 08:31:21 pm »
Well, they don't call it the "right" for no reason.  :cool: :cheesy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2024, 10:03:53 pm »
I had to learn the metric system when I was in grade school 60 years ago. They were planning on switching back then. Congress was supposed to set a cut off date for the switch. They have been afraid to do it ever since, afraid to upset their constituents.
When I design something for my 3d printer I always prefer to use metric measurements. Much easier.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2024, 10:41:56 pm »
You may be right there Reagan. You also drive on the right side of the road which basically means Aussies drive on the wrong side?..
I heard that yous drove on the wrong side of the road so you could shoot at each other out the window when you passed.

Online .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2024, 10:47:50 pm »
Congress was supposed to set a cut off date for the switch.
Jim Altmiller

They are probably trying to coordinate it to line up with the REAL ID deadline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online .30WCF

• Queen Bee
Relaxing In or Global Warming
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2024, 10:49:31 pm »
You may be right there Reagan. You also drive on the right side of the road which basically means Aussies drive on the wrong side?..
I heard that yous drove on the wrong side of the road so you could shoot at each other out the window when you passed.
We got the guns, sounds plausible. Modern day jousting.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2024, 11:22:32 pm »

When I design something for my 3d printer I always prefer to use metric measurements. Much easier.
I use metric pretty frequently too, especially mm for small measurements to avoid fractions of an inch.  I also read a lot of scientific literature, and almost all that uses metric of course, so I've got a decent working idea for linear measurements in meters and smaller, and I'm pretty good with liters and smaller too.  Kilometers and Celsius I still have to look up every time.  Or just ask Siri.  Unit conversions are the only thing Siri is really good for, in my experience.  :embarassed:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2024, 06:07:40 am »
>I had to learn the metric system when I was in grade school 60 years ago. They were planning on switching back then. Congress was supposed to set a cut off date for the switch.

We officially changed to the metric system in 1975 by order of Congress.  But we're Americans.  We do what we like.  The problem, in my opinion was the way they taught the metric system.  They had us doing all these conversions.  That's not how you use a measuring system.  You just use measurement that is in that system.  When I was a printer I had a "pica pole" which is a ruler that has inches, picas/points, cm/mm, ms and ns.  You measure in whatever you need to by reading the correct scale for the units you want.  If we would have done that to teach metric we would have seen how much easier everything was in metric.

When I was in England briefly I was surprised to see all the highway signs in miles.  Apparently they didn't completely change over either.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2024, 06:36:54 am »
I like it when my cars have some of each (SAE and metric) on them.    :cool:

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2024, 07:55:11 am »
Yea.  It used to be either the car was metric or it was SAE.  Now they all seem to be a mixture of both which makes it twice as hard to find the right wrench.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2024, 10:34:33 am »
Tools and small measurements are easy with metric as recognized in the conversation. The confusion for me is temperature. As Les kindly pointed out 70 degrees (f). This pointed out for our convenience a clear understanding of the temperature and this was very courteous of Les to do so.

If he had instead said 21.1111111 C; for me that would have been totally foreign until I would have converted C to F. 
Until I converted, I would have had no idea of the temperature Les intended to relate. Thanks Les for your courteous consideration.

Though a little inconvenient the cross over formula is not hard really.  Simply subtract 32 from 70 and divide by 1.8 and there is your temperature in C.

For the reverse simple reverse the formula,  multiply the  21.1111111 C by 1.8  then add 32 to get 70F

Millage? As the English (as described by Michael) I usually don?t even try unless it is within a subject that really interest me. Such as when OldBeavo describes how far he moves his bees during pollination for example. 

Speaking of which. Has anyone heard from Oldbeavo recently?

Phillip
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 11:04:24 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2024, 10:47:05 am »
About all I know is 32F=0C, 212F and I think that 24C=about 74F. IIRC, 100C=212F. For the rest I just make a guess. Oh, and they converge at -40.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2024, 10:54:05 am »
About all I know is 32F=0C, 212F and I think that 24C=about 74F. IIRC, 100C=212F. For the rest I just make a guess. Oh, and they converge at -40.

Yes about;
By using the above formula will give you 75.2 C
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2024, 11:08:50 am »
Yeah, that's about where I'm at. 

Online .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2024, 09:59:17 pm »
I like quick math. (Cx2)+30=F
For most general conversations, if I?m within a couple degrees, I can gather if it?s shorts weather or if we need jackets. I?m not talking critical measurements. If you go camping and the temp is off by 5 degrees, you should still make it out alive. You?ll notice a bigger difference between 60F in the sun vs 60F in the shade.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2024, 11:25:41 pm »
When accuracy is not a concern that will do.

Online .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2024, 11:41:26 pm »
I?d probably be closer than the weatherman was.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2024, 06:53:10 am »
>Though a little inconvenient the cross over formula is not hard really.  Simply subtract 32 from 70 and divide by 1.8 and there is your temperature in C.

For estimate purposes I've always just done: subtract 32 and divide by 2.  I can do that in my head and it's close enough.
-------------------

salvo

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2024, 08:56:50 am »
Hi Folks,

I've,... We've all used Craftsman tools farevah! I have my hoard in the cellar. All sizes, since I was a kid. Some other brand names are there too, Snap-on, Cornwall, SK, Williams,....

My new mother-in-law bought me a pretty good set of Craftsman, both metric and sae sockets in the 70's, when rice burners were becoming popular. It's still like brand new in the case, little use. The sales slip is still in it. My wife bought me a set of Metrinch metric/sae tools in maybe the seventies, a hundred bucks, not cheap then. That's been my go-to since then for the small stuff. Excellent quality. And that *wobble* does come in handy.

All us baby-boomers are *moving to Pheonix* (re dying). I see so many great hoards of sockets and tools at estate sales,... CHEAP! But my old ones still work. I CAN'T buy any more. I don't have enough time to wear them out.

Sal

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2024, 10:15:48 am »
In class, an aspiring engineer and an aspiring chemist (obviously both males) were placed on one side of the classroom and the hottest chickie in the class was placed on the other. The professor told the two to approach her at half distance repeatedly and when they got to her, they could kiss her. The chemist sat down and said, "I'll never get there" but the engineer said, "I'll get close enough".

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2024, 12:42:30 pm »
>Though a little inconvenient the cross over formula is not hard really.  Simply subtract 32 from 70 and divide by 1.8 and there is your temperature in C.

For estimate purposes I've always just done: subtract 32 and divide by 2.  I can do that in my head and it's close enough.

Yes; That works well when only an estimate is satisfactory. In the 70F example given by Les, you will only be off a couple degrees, (cooler), in C.

anything