Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First Swarm  (Read 1966 times)

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
First Swarm
« on: May 07, 2009, 12:49:25 am »
Caught my first swarm today, quite by accident.  Got a voice mail yesterday evening about a swarm in a tree outside a business.  When I called back, another beekeeper had already taken the swarm.  The shop owner then said the main colony is still in the eaves of the building... been there for three years now, but no one is willing to tackle the job.  I went this morning to check it out for a trap-out (which should be an easy prospect as it has a flat roof next to the girls' front door).

While looking things over, I happened to look up into the tree that had yesterday's swarm and found, not one, but four more swarms.  Each was about the size of an apple.  I figure they were stragglers from yesterday's swarm.  Just happened to have a nuc box with frames and foundation in the truck, along with a veil and gloves. :-D  After borrowing a 12 foot step ladder and taking aloft my handy-dandy hand snips, I went apple picking....

That's when the real fun began, as I forgot to mention that this was on the main street through town and big rigs were cruising by as I was aloft.  Yep, must be crazy 8-)

On the bright side, the neighborhood preschool was letting out and I had some youngsters and their parents watching and asking questions.  That  was the really, really fun part....

Wish I had photos, but I wasn't actually planning on doing any "work".  I will definitely need to add the digital camera to my box o' tools.

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
Re: First Swarm
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 07:31:15 am »
Congratulations on your first swarm of the year

Johnny

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 11:58:02 am »
Lenape13.  Now wasn't that just simply ding dang cool!!!  Beautiful day in our great life, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 04:17:08 pm »
that's too cool did you do the trapout as well?
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 06:08:45 am »
The  trapout will be coming up in a few weeks.

anything