Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: WITNESS FIRST SWARM TODAY  (Read 1770 times)

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
WITNESS FIRST SWARM TODAY
« on: March 29, 2010, 11:21:32 pm »
ONE OF MY LARGEST HIVE SWARMED IN FRONT OF ME TODAY.IT WAS AMAZING TO SEE THOUSANDS OF BEES COMING OUT OF THE HIVE.AFTER THE SKY WAS FULL OF BEES THEY STARTED TO LAND ON A BRANCH ABOUT 12 FT. HIGH.ONLY ABOUT 1/2 OF THE BEES LANDED ON THE BRANCH,THE OTHER 1/2 WENT BACK IN THE HIVE.I THOUGHT THAT ALL THE FLYING BEES WILL LEAVE WITH THE QUEEN BUT I SEE THATS NOT TRUE.THIS IS 1 OF 2 HIVES I HAVE FOR MY TUPELO HONEY.WELL IT WAS A LOST AS FOR AS MAKING TUPELO HONEY WITH THIS HIVE BUT I WILL GO IN MY OTHER HIVE TOMORROW AN MAKE SURE THEY DONT HAVE QUEEN CELLS IN IT.I GUESS I MISSED THE QUEEN CELL ON THAT HIVE.ITS NOT A TOTAL LOST, I DID GET THE SWARM AND IT WAS A LARGE ONE 7 1/2 LBS.   ...SCHAWEE....
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
Re: WITNESS FIRST SWARM TODAY
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 11:35:26 pm »
I HAVE PICTURES BUT DONT KNOW HOW TO PUT THEM ON THE FORUM.HELP IS NEEDED,THANKS ....SCHAWEE
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 01:53:37 am »
ONE OF MY LARGEST HIVE SWARMED IN FRONT OF ME TODAY.IT WAS AMAZING TO SEE THOUSANDS OF BEES COMING OUT OF THE HIVE.AFTER THE SKY WAS FULL OF BEES THEY STARTED TO LAND ON a BRANCH ABOUT 12 FT. HIGH.ONLY ABOUT 1/2 OF THE BEES LANDED ON THE BRANCH,THE OTHER 1/2 WENT BACK IN THE HIVE.I THOUGHT THAT ALL THE FLYING BEES WILL LEAVE WITH THE QUEEN BUT I SEE THATS NOT TRUE.THIS IS 1 OF 2 HIVES I HAVE FOR MY TUPELO HONEY.WELL IT WAS a LOST AS FOR AS MAKING TUPELO HONEY WITH THIS HIVE BUT I WILL GO IN MY OTHER HIVE TOMORROW AN MAKE SURE THEY DONT HAVE QUEEN CELLS IN IT.I GUESS I MISSED THE QUEEN CELL ON THAT HIVE.ITS NOT a TOTAL LOST, I DID GET THE SWARM AND IT WAS a LARGE ONE 7 1/2 LBS.   ...SCHAWEE....

Only the workers swarm with the queen and about half leave with her.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 09:23:36 am »
Hey, I thought you said you did those splits? Queen leaves with the swarm, BTW. If she does not, they go back and round her up.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 10:34:12 pm »
jp,this was one of two hives i didn't split.i wanted to make tupelo honey.i did go though both hives and didn't see queen cells so i though i was ok. today i went in the hive that swarmed and found queen cells that was open on the side.what was strange is that there is a cap queen cell and 3 other queen cells thats not caped in the middle brood box with larva and 3 supersede cells that is capped in the botton brood box.i don't know what to do about it.the other 4 splits i did are doing fine.   ...schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 10:50:36 pm »
Make more splits!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com