Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do queens keep growing?  (Read 1450 times)

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
Do queens keep growing?
« on: April 13, 2019, 08:28:16 pm »
I got out the green paint today. I remember what Robo taught at BeeFest 2018 how to paint the queens, and I got three, one I couldn't find.

My Qs are all physically small and scamper quickly. I'm not sure why; they were started in a box that was as loaded with bees as it could be, and they were on a flow, and had plenty of stores anyway. The Q-cells I thought were pretty big.

Two of these have been laying for three weeks, one has just started maybe Wednesday. 

Will they keep growing? If so, for how long?  Or did I somehow raise some mini-Qs?

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Do queens keep growing?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 09:14:12 pm »
Matt:  My Qs are all physically small and scamper quickly. 

Some queens are naturally what I call SHY.  They hide under bees and run a lot from frame to frame, hide under burr comb making finding difficult.  However I have veteran queens that casually stroll about the frames without a care in the world as I hold the frames and watch in amazement.  Some queens are shy almost appear frightened of light whereas some are calmed by light.  I have seen both.

Upon hatching queens can vary in size considerably.  I have seen queens hatch that were not much bigger than a worker, a cull to me and queens so big upon hatching one would think they were already bred.

I have some three year old queens that appear a bit smaller this year compared to their previous years.  Also I notice some of my 3 year old queens appear darker as they age.

So to your specific question of do queens grow bigger?????  After hatching, feeding a few days, and breeding MOST, not all, queens do get bigger compared to the Virgin she once was..  Queens do vary in size upon hatching, generally larger is better IMHO.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 12:36:08 am »
Mr Van, do you color mark your queens?
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 01:37:50 am »
Her abdomen grows and shrinks with the stage of lay she is in.

When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 07:37:28 am »
X2

Usually your virgin queen abdomens are much smaller. That is how you usually can tell if a queen is mated or not. Actually it how developed her ovaries are. Once she mates, her ovaries develop more and then they enlarge. I suspect this design enables her to fly stronger during her maiden flight.
When the bees are getting ready to swarm, they will put the queen on a diet and make her lose weight so that she can fly again.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 03:34:35 pm »
Phillip

Mr. Ben, Phil: I seldom mark a queen.  No need to as my breeder queens are Cordovan and as a hobbyist, I don?t run many hives, less than twenty.  Cordovan is simply an Italian bee with a gene or genes for light coloring, void of black.

The Cordovan genetic factors [genotype] are not defined at this point.  I have mapped as far north as Ohio and South to Florida.  If any Cordovan bees exists in Canada, I am unaware but this is not saying much, what do I know about 🇨🇦 except for some of the best syrup on the planet.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 07:55:22 pm »
Phillip

Mr. Ben, Phil: I seldom mark a queen.  No need to as my breeder queens are Cordovan and as a hobbyist, I don?t run many hives, less than twenty.  Cordovan is simply an Italian bee with a gene or genes for light coloring, void of black.

The Cordovan genetic factors [genotype] are not defined at this point.  I have mapped as far north as Ohio and South to Florida.  If any Cordovan bees exists in Canada, I am unaware but this is not saying much, what do I know about 🇨🇦 except for some of the best syrup on the planet.

I had trouble seeing my queens at first. I had a cutout queen in particular that was a runner and hider as you described in your first post. I decided to start marking after a hard time spotting her. The next time after marking, she was still hard to find, she ole girl was hiding on the inside wall of the bottom box. Had I not marked her, I might have missed seeing her once again. I have decided to mark all queens in the future not only for (finding) purposes, but for age identification, and swarmed away queens as well. In other words, if a queen happens to slip and swarm away and is superseded, I should know by recognizing the new as being an unmarked queen.  Now there is always the chance that all the paint could come off of a marked queen?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 08:23:35 am »
As others have said, the queen not only can continue to grow, she can shrink depending on how much she is laying.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything