Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Timing  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Timing
« on: April 11, 2019, 02:25:50 pm »
One of the most important things in beekeeping is timing. If you can predict things you can be proactive in your beekeeping and you can set goals for important events during the season such as likely swarming, the main flow, etc. How do you do this? You keep notes. Not so much on each hive as on the season. From year to year chart the blooms of trees especially but also things like dandelions and clover etc. Also events in the apiary such as swarming and the main flow. The main flow you can identify by new white wax, a steady stream of purposeful flight, and a rapid gain in weight. Also sort out blooms you identified in town and blooms you identified in the countryside. The difference, at least in my location will be two weeks earlier in the city.

If you do this from year to year you will see some things are good indicators of the start of the season (in my location the wild plums) and some are not (in my location the read maples). For instance, if the wild plums are blooming two weeks early, then I know the flow will be at least a week early. You will find things sometimes catch up as the main flow approaches. In other words, the plums might be two weeks early but the black locust might be only a week and a half early and the main flow may be only a week early. Once you can predict things with reasonable accuracy you can make better decisions.

One of your goals as a beekeeper should be to have the population of the colony to peak right at the main flow. If you want to do a cut down split to maximize honey production while getting more bees--that would be two weeks before the main flow. If you can predict things you can make better decisions on splits. For instance if your colony seems to be peaking (you'll get a feel for about the maximum size before they decide to swarm in the pre flow period) several weeks before the main flow there may not be any point in trying to prevent it from swarming before the main flow and you might just split. But if the main flow is only a week away, maybe you can stall them that long by opening the brood nest. Knowing when to expect the flow can help you make better decisions. Decisions like when to plan on putting on supers or do swarm control etc.

So I?m saying you should pay attention to timing. You should keep notes in order to make better timing decisions.

http://bushfarms.com/beestiming.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
Re: Timing
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 08:18:45 pm »
Michael , I agree 100% . I've kept records on cheap calendars for 3 yrs. so don't have say 10 yrs. of data. This year here so far is totally different, we had temperatures in February 40? and 50? above normal. Hardwoods started blooming early , then freezing temps. ( now we've had a very wet yr. so far)  We're in normal temp. range 75? days mid 50? at night. I should be in flow now, but in a dearth now and robbing has started, rite after I made splits. So the timing for me is some what confusing. Me and my other beek friends don't have hundreds of hives so it makes it difficult.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 01:10:44 pm »
Michael , I agree 100% . I've kept records on cheap calendars for 3 yrs. so don't have say 10 yrs. of data.
That is a fantastic record keeping idea!  I might have to totally steal it and buy a calendar at Walmart today.  :happy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 02:16:22 pm »
Good post Mr Bush.
Thanks Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline StraferX

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 10:53:02 am »
I have long used calendars and composition books to journal flora and fauna data, computers are cool but hard drives fail.

I have been around bees all my life however this is my first year setting up my own hives. I have been to bee assoc meetings, talked with beeks and interviewed quite a few people using dif set ups and have drawn the conclusion that almost every one is failing equally. I wont post my thoughts on that issue in this thread but I would love to see a thread about using the signs like the old times used to use and my great uncle taught me.

My journaling experience stems from a life time of hunting, fishing, farming, gardening and love for all things in nature. Good post Mr Bush.
As for me and my house, We WILL serve the Lord.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 09:23:54 am »
I hate taking notes but I agree 100% on timing.  If you focus on timing your brain will remember even if it has trouble remembering.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 10:01:38 am »
I've been using a free phone app journal called DayOne.  It's just a couple of taps, and will record voice memos. Though Siri doesn't know beekeeping words, it's fast to correct text.  Stores one photo per day too, for free.