Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Caught my first swarm of 2019.  (Read 9647 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Caught my first swarm of 2019.
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2019, 08:46:14 am »
This is again, something I haven't heard. BobSim is lucky to be living so close to a drone congratulation area, if,  he is a fellow interested in making splits and producing queens. And you are blessed to have a friend like BobSim to work bees together. Here I go with another question. With so many drones stopping by one hive, will that size (army) of drones,  be to much for one hive to sustain as far as resources go?  Will this many drones be overly taxing to (re-fuel) that many drones by one hive even if the drones only stop at this hive once, let alone if they were to continue to re-visit the same hive for resources. This may explain why some folks complain about a certain hive "just will not produce much honey no matter what?"  Just a last minute theory.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 08:57:27 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2019, 09:10:05 am »
I was at work yesterday and left back if my truck open and pulled a nuc out and had scout bees around it  so I left it in a spot and baited it so will see what happens fingers crossed
  swarm traps in back of truck do give you hints on where to place traps. I usually have a few in the back of truck to replace traps that have caught or if I  find  a good location to place one. Any activity around truck and I  find somewhere nearby to set my trap.

jtcmedic, ed/La. have y'all had any luck so far related to the above?
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2019, 10:56:36 am »
I was at work yesterday and left back if my truck open and pulled a nuc out and had scout bees around it  so I left it in a spot and baited it so will see what happens fingers crossed
  swarm traps in back of truck do give you hints on where to place traps. I usually have a few in the back of truck to replace traps that have caught or if I  find  a good location to place one. Any activity around truck and I  find somewhere nearby to set my trap.

jtcmedic, ed/La. have y'all had any luck so far related to the above?
They haven?t moved in yet

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2019, 12:04:13 am »
This is again, something I haven't heard. BobSim is lucky to be living so close to a drone congratulation area, if,  he is a fellow interested in making splits and producing queens. And you are blessed to have a friend like BobSim to work bees together. Here I go with another question. With so many drones stopping by one hive, will that size (army) of drones,  be to much for one hive to sustain as far as resources go?  Will this many drones be overly taxing to (re-fuel) that many drones by one hive even if the drones only stop at this hive once, let alone if they were to continue to re-visit the same hive for resources. This may explain why some folks complain about a certain hive "just will not produce much honey no matter what?"  Just a last minute theory.
With the number of drones that we saw go into one hive, I think you are right about putting a heavy load on one hive.
The truth is this hive survived this but they probably could have made more honey if it did not happen.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2019, 07:14:12 am »
Here are pictures of a swarm I got this week. It started out as a perfect swarm hanging on the bottom of a planter that was just hooked onto the tree at five feet from the ground.

I placed a bed sheet on the ground, placed a five frame Nuc with all drawn comb under it. I picked them up, held them 6 inches over the Nuc and gave them a shake. They all landed directly on top of the Nuc and then went air borne as a swarm and flew two fenced yards away. We chased after them and got permission from the owner to go in and get them. They landed real low on a small magnolia tree trunk.

I found the queen walking towards the box and put her in a queen cage and put her in the nuc.
For a while there I thought I was going to loose this swarm but it worked out.

The next time I get a swarm like this I will first hold the swarm directly over the box and touch the bottom bees to the frame tops and let them decide to go in the box. Then I would shake them onto the box.

Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2019, 07:24:55 am »
Here is a picture of the queen.

Jim Altmiller

Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2019, 07:50:24 am »
Here is a picture of the queen.

Jim Altmiller

Awesome Jim, As Schawee would say " I got the queen"  😁

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2019, 09:08:37 am »
 :grin:
Ben Franklin

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2019, 10:23:55 pm »
I received a call for this swarm in Jacksonxille while at the farm. I called Judy, she has in town, Five minutes away. I asked her to get a spray bottle of sugar water and lightly spray them to stop the scouts from dancing and making them move to a new location. By the time I arrived an hour later she had the swarm in a ice chest and they were all gathering into it. She held the branch above the swarm and a neighbor helped and cut it off and she lowered it into the box. Of course her bee suit was in my truck so she didn?t have any protection.

Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2019, 12:13:27 am »
I received a call for this swarm in Jacksonxille while at the farm. I called Judy, she has in town, Five minutes away. I asked her to get a spray bottle of sugar water and lightly spray them to stop the scouts from dancing and making them move to a new location. By the time I arrived an hour later she had the swarm in a ice chest and they were all gathering into it. She held the branch above the swarm and a neighbor helped and cut it off and she lowered it into the box. Of course her bee suit was in my truck so she didn?t have any protection.

Jim Altmiller

That is awesome! Great job Judy! It must be nice to have a team work family situation as you two must enjoy! My wife is supportive of me and my bees and excited for me;  "At a distance" Haa haa  :wink:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 01:51:55 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2019, 12:27:52 am »
Jim, I told you in post 37 that I have never caught a swarm. Well, I received a call from County School Systems asking if I could remove a swarm from one of the school properties. I had to decline. I told the Administrator that I was tied up with my dad at the hospital, that I appreciated his call very much and under normal circumstances, I would have burnt rubber squealing tires to get there. We had a good laugh. Dang I wanted that swarm bad! Good news; they did a 50/50 chance of success or failure surgery on my dad. I am happy to report that th surgery was a success! He will hopefully be going home for real.    L(hopefully), coming back only for Dr. appointments! What a blessing for him and my family! Thank each of you for your prayers. We thought he was leaving us more than once!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 01:51:32 am by Ben Framed »

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2019, 01:43:43 am »
That's pretty cool Jim. Thank you for sharing these things.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2019, 07:17:07 am »
Phillip,
Really glad the surgery went really well. I know how rough that is to deal with. My dad was hospitalized most of December and January due to strokes. He is now at home with 24 hour a day nurse team in PA.
Judy started to get involved when I built the observation hive, it quickly became hers. The first time I went to split it, she was telling me which frames to keep and which ones to remove. Then when I went to do cutouts and my buddies could not make it, she would go just to be my safety person. She did the same in the apiary. She can now handle frames and even pull frames out of the hive.
It is important for your wife to get stung from time to time. If your clothes are getting stung while working bees and she is doing your laundry without getting stung, she can get a severe allergic reaction. The venom dries on the suits and clothes and goes air borne and is inhaled and the dust causes the wrong reaction.  The stings keep the immune system working properly.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2019, 07:47:59 am »
Thank you Jim, I am sorry that your dad is in such a condition and had to and is, suffering such a terriable fate.  That is rough. I hope he has a good an outlook as can be hoped for.
 I am hoping that my wife will eventuallly (brave up) 😁. Thank you for reminding me of the bee venom in the description that you described. I had heard of this very thing happening. Michale Palmer said he had this very thing happen to one of his children in the same circumstances that you described.  As always I appreciate your advise and encouragement.
Phillip

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2019, 07:52:15 am »
No problem Phillip. You bring up a good point about children. Could be a problem if they are near the laundry room during or after handling bee clothes.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2019, 09:36:44 pm »
Ben as dealing with family in hospital recently also I hope he does well and has A quick rwcovwry
Jim, I told you in post 37 that I have never caught a swarm. Well, I received a call from County School Systems asking if I could remove a swarm from one of the school properties. I had to decline. I told the Administrator that I was tied up with my dad at the hospital, that I appreciated his call very much and under normal circumstances, I would have burnt rubber squealing tires to get there. We had a good laugh. Dang I wanted that swarm bad! Good news; they did a 50/50 chance of success or failure surgery on my dad. I am happy to report that th surgery was a success! He will hopefully be going home for real.    L(hopefully), coming back only for Dr. appointments! What a blessing for him and my family! Thank each of you for your prayers. We thought he was leaving us more than once!
well done Jim and Judy

Jim Altmiller

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2019, 11:20:50 pm »
So, I was reclining on my couch browsing Beemaster this afternoon and my friend who got me into bee keeping txts me. Says he's got a swarm in his front yard, and asks me if I want it. Then he says he's already caught 3 swarms in 3 weeks and has all the bees he needs right now. "Sure" I said.

45 mins later this is what I found.

My 1st swarm of the season, and only my second ever. Good times.  :happy:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2019, 11:23:45 pm »
Yes indeed, Congratulations Alan!
Phillip

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2019, 11:40:15 pm »
That is a nice one.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2019, 11:58:58 pm »
Thank you Phillip and Jim. The ladies made it home safely. When I opened the box at home to adjust the frames properly, that's when I realized this was a good swarm. They had all 8 frames covered. :) ... I feel blessed today.  :happy: can't let all of you have all the fun!    :grin: :happy:  :cool:

anything