BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Migratory vs Telescopic lid

<< < (2/4) > >>

Skeggley:
Aah, now we?re talking different migratory covers. Do the ones you use hang over the sides at front and back? The ones here sit flush on all sides, 50mm in height with a galvinised tin skin on the top for weather. It seems like the ones you use are only temporary for transport hence no weatherproofing.
What you say about weather makes sense as the T cover acts as an eave but we have rain here too and for your next quiz night Australia actually gets more snow than Switzerland annually.

I?m assuming the clear plastic used for the hive mats are PVC but can?t be sure and I?m not sure I?d use soft PVC, although being labelled as food safe it smells and have heard it off gasses but I?m no chemist.

Ben Framed:
'I?m assuming the clear plastic used for the hive mats are PVC but can?t be sure and I?m not sure I?d use soft PVC, although being labelled as food safe it smells and have heard it off gasses but I?m no chemist.''

I just googled plastic sheeting and came up with visqueen; and visqueen is how it was spelled. This sheeting runs from 1.5 Mil to 10 Mil.  A roll of this sheeted material will go a long way good for many hives when cut to the proper size. As far as food safe, I do not know yet.
 I am assuming your first paragraph is directed toward member as my lids are flush mount to the edges of my boxes also. Let me say a few words about the advantec material. This stuff is terrific!!  With plywood alone for my tops, I always had warpage. Using adventec this season I have experienced NO warpage zero, and no swelling of material! Advantage leaves a smooth even fit all the way around my top box making it easy for the bees to seal as they always do. I no longer have the problem of SHB sneaking in the top area! Though I have been told painting is not necessary, I do paint this material, especially on the outer edges liberally.  I also use the same material for my bottom boards and always have enough scraps pieces from a 4x8 sheet to build a 3/4 lip for the bottom board, for the bottom box to rest on. I have had no problem with burr comb at the bottoms and can not say enough good things about Adventec!  They should pay me for publicly praising this product but I do not have any ties with them except usage.
 :grin:

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: Skeggley on October 05, 2019, 07:40:54 pm ---Aah, now we?re talking different migratory covers. Do the ones you use hang over the sides at front and back? The ones here sit flush on all sides, 50mm in height with a galvinised tin skin on the top for weather. It seems like the ones you use are only temporary for transport hence no weatherproofing.
What you say about weather makes sense as the T cover acts as an eave but we have rain here too and for your next quiz night Australia actually gets more snow than Switzerland annually.

--- End quote ---
I have covers that have hang-over on the front and back, with the sides open for ventilation when used with a screened inner cover.  I have to have a lot of ventilation in my hives or I get mold.  Our climate is just so humid.     

Michael Bush:
Telescopic are more common in the North and less common in the South.  Migratory covers are just a flat cover.  Usually they have a cleat on the front and back to keep them from sliding around too much.

Acebird:
Telescopic covers go with inner covers.  It is because of the inner cover that the outer needs to be telescopic.  A beekeeper decides to use inner covers or not and that dictates whether to use telescopic or not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version