Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is it normal for... ?  (Read 1337 times)

Offline spafmagic

• House Bee
Is it normal for... ?
« on: September 10, 2019, 03:50:19 pm »
Just got done inspecting a hive in Stokesdale North Carolina. For the most part, Mama bee has been busy laying workers. There are a good few frames full of worker brood. There are a couple of frames however, that are at least 70% full of capped honey with a mix of worker and drone brood on the bottom. Is that particularly normal for this time of year to have drone brood "baking in the oven" this late?

*edit*
I do have a medium super on top with a queen excluder. And they are definitely taking advantage of it now as well.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Is it normal for... ?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 04:02:16 pm »
I inspected this AM and I also saw drone brood in one of three hives I looked at.  Not much drone brood compared to worker brood, but kinda surprised to see the drone brood.

My area is having a bit of a flow, lots of pollen coming in, hives gaining weight, maybe reason for some drone brood...???  Maybe.

I will add, one hive I inspected this AM had the one of the prettiest frames of bee bread and capped honey I have laid eyes on.  Ready for winter.
Van
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 04:30:05 pm by van from Arkansas »
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 10:16:43 pm »
My hives also have drone brood. I wonder why?
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 02:09:30 am »
My hives also have drone brood. I wonder why?

Same here.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 10:00:40 am »
I have drones as well. First I?ve seen since late June when they were dragging them out of hive.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 11:17:26 am »
Just speculation but maybe they are producing drones in case there is a late fall supercedure occurring.  If there are no drones around then a failing queen in the fall will be the death of the hive.  I suspect that hives are used to taking care of a certain amount of drones and if the drones are not there then they will raise a few more. 

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 06:59:05 am »
Just got done inspecting a hive in Stokesdale North Carolina. For the most part, Mama bee has been busy laying workers. There are a good few frames full of worker brood. There are a couple of frames however, that are at least 70% full of capped honey with a mix of worker and drone brood on the bottom. Is that particularly normal for this time of year to have drone brood "baking in the oven" this late?

*edit*
I do have a medium super on top with a queen excluder. And they are definitely taking advantage of it now as well.
Yes. You've probably got a good goldenrod flow and maybe buckwheat coming in. Bees are responding to that abundance by raising a round of drones. I bet they backfill those drone cells with nectar as soon as they emerge.

It's kinda sad, really, for the drones. They'll most likely be kicked out and starve and never "fulfill their mission."

anything