Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Drone cell?  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Drone cell?
« on: September 06, 2019, 03:49:06 pm »

Done a quick inspection today. These are from hive 2. I know there is a patch of drone cells in one pic. But in the other two are those just some individual drone cells or Queen cells. Granted I?m new but from all the pics I?ve seen I would?ve thought a Queen cell would be longer. So I?m thinking just drone. And being by themselves just caught my eye. If they are drones why just one or two and not a group?  And if Queen cells what should I do. Kinda late to be splitting right? Thanks

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Drone cell?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 04:15:06 pm »
Nock,
Queen cells are always vertical. All of the cells that I see are horizontal. When they have a bullet canal, that indicates it is a drone cell. I also see a lot of capped worker cells. That is a good sign. Your bees think they need more drone brood so they are making drone cells where ever they can. With good capped worker cells, I would not worry about this hive. I would make sure they have room to grow to minimize swarming.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 04:31:25 pm »
Nock,
Queen cells are always vertical. All of the cells that I see are horizontal. When they have a bullet canal, that indicates it is a drone cell. I also see a lot of capped worker cells. That is a good sign. Your bees think they need more drone brood so they are making drone cells where ever they can. With good capped worker cells, I would not worry about this hive. I would make sure they have room to grow to minimize swarming.
Jim Altmiller
Yes all three are horizontal. First time all season I?ve seen just a cell by itself like that. On a side note this hive is starting to draw some frames in super. Maybe I?ll get a little honey to sample after all. Hive 1 still hasn?t started drawing any. Not sure why the top brood box on that hive is packed with honey. 7 frames worth. The other three had great brood pattern. I haven?t been in the bottom brood box on either hive in a while. I always find eggs in the second one(top) so I never go in the bottom. Should I???

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 04:38:40 pm »
Nock: Jim nailed this one, agree with every word.

That is some beautiful new wax, clean, clear!!!

Bottom pic on the left side edge, I see what appears to be hive beetle in a cell, actually 3 beetles.  Watch those beetles carefully they can ruin a hive.

Nock, Has just noticed so I will add:  those look like gentle bees, very well behaved bees..  I don?t see nervous bees flying in any pic.  A lot of bees are ignoring you and have their heads down tending to cells in wax frame.  Are the bees gentle, well behaved or just happened no fliers in the pics?  This time of year I have a few hives that excite easily and take to the air.

Van
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 07:34:01 pm by van from Arkansas »
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 06:21:47 pm »
Nock: Jim nailed this one, agree with every word.

... Bottom pic on the left side edge, I see what appears to be hive beetle in a cell, actually 3 beetles.  Watch those beetles carefully they can ruin a hive.

Van

Good eyes Van, good eyes.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln