Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A special Queen Bee.  (Read 1545 times)

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
A special Queen Bee.
« on: September 04, 2019, 05:01:05 pm »
The queen is everything as all bees are generated from this one single bee.  About 8 years ago, 2011, I decided to raise my own queens.  Took me 4 years of breeding  to develop Alpha, my Precious breeder queen.  Unlike any queen I have ever witnessed, a gentle laying phenomenon.  Alpha is 3.5 years of age this date.  Alpha has given me many Cordovan queens which I cross with Cordovans from the Latshaw genetics.  Joe Latshaw is a PhD level bee geneticist.  I give away these queens, as a hobbyist, I never sell.

This year, Alpha gave me a special queen.  A Cordovan queen that hatched, mated and was laying in 4 FOUR days.  As most of you know, a virgin queen needs on average 4-7 days to mature, then goes on a mating flight so most beeks use 2 weeks as a rule from hatch to laying.  Four days is incredible from hatch to laying.  Indeed this is a special queen and I am looking forward to see what this new queen can produce.

This queen laying in 4 days of hatch is named Thelma Lou, named in part by BenFramed, Phil.  So, next year, don?t be surprised if this old man is raving about a Cordovan queen bee named Thelma Lou.  Just be patient with me as I am proud of my queens.  And thanks for reading, letting me share my excitement.  I just got a feeling Thelma Lou is going to be a high productive queen.

Blessings
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: A special Queen Bee.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 05:55:04 pm »

Thelma Lou is slowly increasing the temp of her hive, see temperature graph.  Now I realize the queen does not control the temp, I am guessing the nurse bees do that.  However the question remains as to why the increase in temperature above the 92F, standard brood temperature.  This hive is 5 frame nuc, 2 bodies high that is shaded until about 2:00 pm, after two o?clock the nuc has sunshine for two hours, then shade after 4:00 pm.  There is brood in both bottom and top of nuc.
Van
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 06:31:30 pm by van from Arkansas »
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 06:54:43 pm »
All hail, Queen Thelma Lou!  Long live the queen!  :cheesy:  Interesting about the brood nest temp being higher than expected.  I wonder if this hive will run at a higher temperature than normal consistently, or if it's just a spike for some reason. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 07:15:58 pm »
You have me beat by a day. My best was laying on day 21, or 5 days after hatch. Hope she does well for you.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline rockink

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 07:30:29 pm »
It's amazing what people can do with these awesome little bugs.. I would love to see your operation.. And hopefully get one of your queens some day..

When is the best time to re-queen? Or does it matter? Will it affect honey production?

Thanks,
Ken

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 09:44:55 pm »
Ken, if you purchase a mated queen then March will work for requeening.  To raise queens in this area, Ozarks, then late April or early May.  It is waiting for mature drones that determines the time frame.  I could graft queens in February but the problem would be a lack of drones. 

Cheers
Van

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 10:13:29 pm »
Quoting Mr Van
Just be patient with me as I am proud of my queens.  And thanks for reading, letting me share my excitement.  I just got a feeling Thelma Lou is going to be a high productive queen.

Mr Van, congratulations on such a prize!!! Your hard work is showing phenomenal results! I feel blessed and fortunate to know you my friend. Keep up the good scientific work!!
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 08:55:43 am »
I enjoy all your post. Look forward to see more about her.

Offline jimineycricket

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 11:12:12 am »
Maybe your special queen will discourage varroa in the hive by raising the temperature of the hive.
jimmy

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 11:24:59 am »
Praise the Lord!
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 12:48:53 pm »
Pic of Thelma Lou.

Van

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2019, 02:27:33 am »
Praise the Lord!
And pass the pollination err, ammunition  :wink:
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 08:07:59 am »
Van,
Are you going to mark her?
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 12:37:30 pm »
Jim, good morning fella. I rarely mark a queen, especially cordovans.  No need to mark a Cordovan queen as their color stands out in the crowd.  Occasionally I will mark an Italian queen.

Van