Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Longevity on strong hives?  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Anonimo22

• House Bee
Longevity on strong hives?
« on: August 30, 2019, 02:42:15 pm »
This just seemed really interesting to think about today.

I'd been reading some material by swarm catchers and some of them (not often maybe) say they'd found old bee boxes with bees still living in them without any humans being around them for some time.

It made me think it would be fun to talk to the other beeks and see what they think about the average length of time they can keep a strong big hive going for in terms of years? (By this I don't mean using the same queens...) But just trying to compare how long can someone keep a strong well run hive going for compared to smaller or medium hives?

It seems fun to think about.

And I understand some people as breeders are also trying to get smaller hives on purpose, so I'm not trying to say either is better.

I wonder, if you kept a hive with adequate resources if its possible to keep a hive going for decades? (Is this too presumptious to ask, I hope not.) (And obviously there's a lot of turnover.)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Longevity on strong hives?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 03:22:03 pm »
I think the answers to this question are going to depend on what you consider to be "1 hive".  For example, I entered this spring with 1 hive.  That hive split/swarmed 3 times, so I now have 4 hives.  Let's say all my hives die this winter except for 1, and I again enter next spring with one hive.  For the purposes of the topic, are you saying that hive is the same hive as the previous year? 

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 04:35:22 pm »
Prior to Varroa and small hive beetles, that is before 1994 [about] I kept the same mother hive for over 10 years.

For all I know, the original mother hive, born 1962, is still going.  I had to get rid of, give away, all of hives to make way for college.  Such as life.  The comb would need replacement every 5-8 years due to contamination.

Now a days, meet Varroa and small hive beetle.  The doomsday immigrants.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 07:24:50 pm »
Interesting question.  Though it really is not clear what you are actually asking nor how to answer it. The answer could be complex or very simple.  I believe the only answer, the simple answer, that can be given is that a beehive is constantly changing and rejuvenating. There is no such thing as a measure of how long a hive lasts.

A hive is not a static set of frames, woodwork, nor bee stock.  Wood rots and gets replaced.  Frames are manipulated regularly and some of them replaced annually.  Bees and queens come and go come with each brood cycle and changing seasons. The colony either splits itself casting off swarms or the beekeeper intentionally splits the hive to make more hives. ......
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 07:38:49 pm »
HP, you did the world a disfavor by not being a journalist or college professor.  You are thinking at a level way above me.  I always enjoy your post.  Especially is you start that numerical answer thing: ya know like:
1.  Origin to problem
2.  Possible solutions
3.  Probable outcomes.

Very methodical.  When you take your time and answer by the #1, #2 etc I know the text is going to be a learning experience for me. 

Enjoying life I am.
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 08:03:00 pm »
Back before varroa my dad had a hive that was at least 10 years old. I don't think he had worked it for most of it's existence. After his death I opened it up and found a glass milk bottle that must of been a feeder jar completely embedded and filled with comb in the second deep. It's just an interesting side note on how long a hive could survive.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 03:56:22 am »
Depends on your location. As mentioned above, are you in a varroa or, and, a SHB area. Your bees Location?   :grin: And, just because there may bee bees in a box several years later does not mean the original bees descendants are there. New swarms could have took over after the original may have been long gone for again, reasons of SHB or Varroa. Again to general of a question because of location considerations. 
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 11:51:03 am »
There are 3 hives close to my home, 3milesas the crow flies all three are 3 deep.  several years ago, 4-5+-,  horses knocked one hive over the base was not moved, the top and top two deeps were still intact.  All of these hives are still full of bees.  Because of non bee related this person will not let any touch them, sell them or anything.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 05:33:06 pm »
Quoting Paus
Because of non bee related this person will not let any touch them, sell them or anything.

Wonder what his reasoning is?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline John_M

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 05:57:38 pm »
My first bees were "inherited" from a neighbor.  I know they hadn't been tended in at least 10 years.  Two of 3 were still alive and strong, and very gentle.  Everything was propalized unbelievably thickly, a lot of the wood was rotten.  Took me a long time, weeks, to get them moved onto new equipment.  In spite of how much havac I put them through it was weeks before I got a sting.  Those colonies and splits from them were with for years afterwards, maybe still are, kinda lost track.  It was one hell of a way to get started keeping bees, but I learned a lot in the process.

Offline Anonimo22

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 10:56:43 pm »
Thanks for all the kind comments and replies.

This forum has some really nice people!

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2019, 09:19:53 am »
The question is kinda like asking how long people will in your house that you live in now.  You certainly can keep bees in your boxes for 30 or 40 years if you are young enough.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it