BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Please help

(1/3) > >>

Slitherwiz:
Hi my name is Samuel and I am a high school bee keeper. I have had two hive in the past which have both tragically failed making me have to start again. The first hive didn?t grow much over the summer and seemed to be raided by other bees and lost a lot of Resources and didn?t make it. The other hive however was doing well in number and seemed to be very strong but a few months into winter suddenly died. I am wanted to start again this spring but I don?t know what type of bee or method (nuc/package) would be best for me. I live in littleton a bit south of Denver in the suburbs and really want to do well with my bees! So if you have any suggestions for what type of bee is best for me I would love to hear it! and if I should get two packages and only one queen for a stronger start in the spring or have two hives at once?

Thanks!
Samuel

cao:
Welcome  :happy:

My recommendation is to find someone locally that is selling nucs.  Find out if they are treating their hives and you will probably need to follow them.  Ask them lots of questions on how they keep their bees.  I would get two to start with so you could rob resources from one if needed. 

Bob Wilson:
Slitherwiz. What Cao said. Good advice. ✔️

amymcg:
Hi Samuel,

Just curious what your varroa management was? How are you monitoring?

Acebird:
He got two to start and it didn't work.  Better to find out what does work and then he can get multiple hives.  Yes, get advice but don't take all of it.  Advice is contradictory.  The best advice comes from the bees but it is hard to learn their language.  It takes time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version