Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Apparently, I have nothing better to do.  (Read 6632 times)

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
Apparently, I have nothing better to do.
« on: August 15, 2022, 10:53:31 pm »
(1) thin strut
(1) 5/8? rod
(5) strut 90s
(3) strut strait connectors
Spring nuts, bolts and washers
(2) gallons of bondo for added weight
(22) harbor freight solid rubber 6?wheels
(1) yard full of weeds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
Re: Apparently, I have nothing better to do.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 10:54:44 pm »

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 10:55:54 pm »

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 10:57:27 pm »

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 04:56:10 am »
Beautiful yard.
How well does it work?

I have a plastic 18x48 inch roller that you fill with water to do the same thing.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 05:52:17 am »
I bought  a 1980 Case 580C backhoe for a very good price, knowing it needed a lot of work. For the last 3 weeks I have been rebuilding it. I had to rebuild the forward/reverse transmission, there was it had a broken gear. It would only go in reverse. Then I removed 4 hydraulic pistons and had them rebuilt. Replaced a total of 7 hydraulic hoses. Then I had to a weld up 2 holes in the left right cylinders, they were probably leaking to some extent from day one. The leaks were in the weld between the cylinder and the end cap. Some one had tried to weld them up but couldn?t stop them from leaking. I had to remove the piston to bee able to weld them properly. Installed a new regulator for the alternator. Fixed a leak on the power steering. Had to re synchronize the fuel injector, had to use either to start it and it would barely run. The previous owner had replaced it 180 degrees out. The exhaust smoke would burn your eyes because there was so much raw fuel in it. Rebuilt the brakes, they were totally froze up and worn out. Rebuilt some of the body work and fixed the seat.
Here are some pictures.

We couldn?t take it off the trailer until I fixed the hydraulics because too much oil had leaked out.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2022, 06:06:50 am »
Here are pictures of the first stump that I dug out with it.

I left the dirt mounded up because it is going to sink as it settles in.
I was really surprised and happy that this backhoe could pull that large of a yellow pine stump out of the hole. It is at least 6 foot long where it broke off.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2022, 08:46:27 am »
Jim,
It actually does a pretty good job. It?s only purpose is to lay the grass in a different direction with each pass of the mower, creating the illusion of dark and light stripes in the yard.
I have a yard full of weeds, so it only can do so much.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2022, 08:52:09 am »
Good work on the backhoe, Jim. That thing will be handy to have around.
I?ve been thinking about a little subcompact tractor with a bucket for around the house. Then just grab some attachments as needed.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2022, 09:02:09 am »
Just get a 3 point backhoe for your tracker if you have one. They have a hydraulic pump that hooks onto the PTO. The one I have worked pretty well. It only has about a 8 foot reach compared to 17.5 foot reach on the 580C.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2022, 09:04:09 am »
I have no tractor at all.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2022, 09:41:19 am »
I bought  a 1980 Case 580C backhoe for a very good price,
Gee Jim it looks mint.  Did you paint it as part of the rebuild.  My guess is that you put more into it then your initial payment.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2022, 09:47:06 am »
I?ve been thinking about a little subcompact tractor with a bucket for around the house. Then just grab some attachments as needed.

Best thing I ever purchased when we bought the house.  I had two old fords up north. Only one with a one way bucket.  It is surprising what you can do with a small tractor.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2022, 11:01:04 am »
I Mom has an old John Deere 410b that for 20+ years, I at least kept it going fixing small things but it has set for going on three years now cause it burst one of the big hoses that is in a place that I can not figure out how to remove it.  The brakes have been out for the last two years we used it but in low you can control it with the forward and back lever.  I had just put a starter and alternator on it right before the hose broke.  I feel a little guilty of not getting it going this time.  I don't believe I am smart enough to go quite as deep as you had if the hose has me befuddled.  It has super slow hydraulics and don't think it is quite good enough to spend what it would take.  Mom keeps going though spells of buying another one but is 80 years old but it would not surprise me if she ends up with one.  They are nice if you own land though, right jim.  You have a nice place and now a nice backhoe.
Cheers
gww

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2022, 11:21:15 am »
GWW,
On one of the hoses, left right swing, we had to buy a set of crowfoot open end wrench?s to bee able to get it off. Look it up on Amazon, it might bee what you need.
As for the hydraulics being sluggish, you can either add some Seafoam or dump the oil and run straight diesel in it for a couple of hours. They both break down any thick oil or grease that may have gotten in there.
My buddy had an old tractor that he put too much grease in the three point lift arms. The hydraulics stopped working. I told him about the diesel and it cleaned it out perfectly.
You may have stuck pump plungers and the diesel will probably help. Seafoam may also help and you can leave that in the oil. Just follow the recommendations for how much to use.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2022, 11:24:25 am »
Ace,
No, the previous owner had it painted. New stickers too. He also had several medal plates replaced.
I put in half as much as I paid for it. Total $7k. It is now worth about $20k.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2022, 12:07:35 pm »
jim
I have the crowfoot but it would still require removing the box that the hydraulic filter is attached to and then you get into gasket replacement and I just could not gather the will power to tackle it.  It is an 1 and 3/8th inch nut on the hose and it is up against the box that the filter is on.  I have thought about field replacement kits but am afraid of buying the wrong one and they are not too cheep and it would only be temporary due to the hose already being bad though it does look like a scrape where it is leaking and might be enough for years.  Pretty sure it is not too much grease as it has probably not been greased since we got it (I know, my bad).  Thanks for the seafoam and diesel tips.  The 410 has the same hydraulic running the transmission and brakes and that run the buckets.  It might have a lot more leaks if I thin it out too much. :grin:
Cheers
gww

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2022, 12:32:33 pm »
I find it hilarious that 30's idea of a little side project is adding 22 rubber wheels to a riding mower, while Jim's is refurbishing a backhoe!  :cheesy: 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2022, 12:46:19 pm »
Ace,
No, the previous owner had it painted. New stickers too. He also had several medal plates replaced.
I put in half as much as I paid for it. Total $7k. It is now worth about $20k.
Jim Altmiller
You did good.  Funny he did not want to finish the rebuild and get the 20K.  Broken gear in the tranny would have scared me off.  When does that ever happen?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2022, 12:52:30 pm »
I find it hilarious that 30's idea of a little side project is adding 22 rubber wheels to a riding mower, while Jim's is refurbishing a backhoe!  :cheesy:
It is still playing with toys.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it