Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What did you do in your Apiary/Bee yard today?  (Read 59817 times)

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: What did you do in your Apiary/Bee yard today?
« Reply #300 on: September 19, 2022, 02:08:35 pm »
If you need to walk away fairly quickly it's still best to throw a cover on the open hive and another on any boxes you have stacked off of the hive.
I will definitely do that in the future when something like this happens.  That surely contributed to how upset they were when I returned. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #301 on: September 19, 2022, 07:04:05 pm »
Well, we got it done, although it was hairy again!  My sister came with me today, as I mentioned, to try and inspect this hive, and when I lifted the lid off we had a bunch of bees rush out at us.  My sister got stung on the arm almost right away.  She was a wearing pair of coveralls, and they were just too thin to protect her enough from angry bees, so I had her go down to the garage and put on a long-sleeved shirt I had in there and my leather gloves so she'd be better protected.  Once she was re-suited up, I had her remove the boxes while keeping them covered with my robbing cloths to try to minimize the flying bees, and I had her stack the boxes squarely so there wouldn't be gaps for the bees to get out of the boxes I wasn't working.  I quick centered the frames in the bottom box, and then rapidly inspected the second one, stopping halfway to smoke myself and let the bees calm down a little bit.  There were SO MANY bees in the air, and I did get a sting on my side and a second glancing one on the neck which I only found later.  My sister sat a little ways away, and I called out the contents of the frames for her to note down as I went, and then called her over whenever I needed a box replaced on the hive.  I didn't bother inspecting the fully capped super, and I put the top box over the triangle escape board.  I'll have to suit up tomorrow to remove it, which is a pain; I usually just throw on a veil for that job, but not with these girls!  Then I'll give them a good three weeks without bothering them, and hopefully they'll be more manageable by then.       
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #302 on: September 19, 2022, 11:35:56 pm »
No fun when they are in a mood. Did you try the 'Jim Altmiller method' of smoking the bees?

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #303 on: September 20, 2022, 12:10:37 am »
No fun when they are in a mood. Did you try the 'Jim Altmiller method' of smoking the bees?

Phillip
I actually always use the Altmiller method. My timing could have been a little off today though.  My watch died recently, and I haven?t gotten around to trying to fix it yet, and I forgot about needing a watch today until it was too late. Next time I check in on them, hopefully I?ll have it fixed and if not, I?ll borrow one from someone.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #304 on: September 20, 2022, 01:11:44 am »
Picked up hives eaten by bear.
Went back later and confronted bear in person. 
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #305 on: October 03, 2022, 06:49:59 pm »
What!!  :shocked:  How did I miss this post?!  What happened then??!!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #306 on: October 03, 2022, 11:14:46 pm »
Same question. I also missed this post.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #307 on: October 04, 2022, 09:28:49 pm »
Made up fall nucs off of 3 frame double screened bottom board (I dont call them splits, I call them cut outs, because thats what I do cut out 3 frames and let them raise a Queen), started feeding hives that were not in areas where goldenrod was flowering.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #308 on: October 04, 2022, 09:45:55 pm »
Did the second round of apiguard. I like to do 25 mg two times a week apart and then do 50 mg for two weeks. Seems like the SHB do not like the apiguard. Not sure where they went to, but sure don't see as many as last week.

Did the first round last week and was surprised to find two shallow supers with capped comb honey, Just about sold it all out already.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #309 on: October 05, 2022, 05:16:14 pm »
We?ve had a week of wet and windy weather and four more days of rain to follow. Haven?t had any of the hives swarm on me this spring but there are times when the beekeeper can?t do much to prevent it. I reckon the first sunny day will have bees abandoning their old homes and I won?t be able to anything to stop it. I will slosh through the mud a bit later and get down to the shed and make up a few swarm boxes.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #310 on: October 06, 2022, 12:08:15 pm »
We came to an agreement that the bear would never ever return.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #311 on: October 06, 2022, 01:35:17 pm »
We came to an agreement that the bear would never ever return.
🤣🤣🤣
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #312 on: October 06, 2022, 01:39:09 pm »
HoneyPump... i would have paid money to see that conversation between you and the bear.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #313 on: October 06, 2022, 01:43:56 pm »
It seems one of the hives put off a small September swarm yesterday. I caught the tail end of it, but couldn't find where they went. I wonder if they came out and went back in again, however, just in case, I baited a few nucs and added empty comb into them. I would be willing to experiment to see if I could nurse the one year old queen's swarm through the winter. We shall see.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #314 on: October 06, 2022, 05:08:20 pm »
HoneyPump... i would have paid money to see that conversation between you and the bear.

So would I !
However, I would bet Mr HoneyPump did not spend much time in 'debate' with Mr Bear   :shocked:  :cheesy:  lol...
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #315 on: October 08, 2022, 08:55:31 pm »
Cleaned out a deadout. This was a very late season cut out that just did not make it. Lots of cut out wax for the solar wax melter and three good brood frames for the freezer.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #316 on: October 08, 2022, 09:13:08 pm »
I spent all afternoon listening to podcasts while cleaning frames and organizing my winter stacks of equipment.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #317 on: October 11, 2022, 09:24:27 am »
Well actually this was yesterday. Cleaned out my chest freezer of frames, scraped the ones un-salvageable and rendered the junk. Got a nice 5 lb chunk for rewaxing frames.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #318 on: October 11, 2022, 01:39:31 pm »
Finished dipping the last of my empty frames in hot water to clean old wax off them.  I have done about 100 boxes full of frames this summer.  They will be scraped and redone this winter to get ready for next spring.  After my continuing issue with SHBs and going from near 100 hives down to 48 at present, I have alot of extra equipment that will get a face lift this winter.  My wax supply has filled over 4 5-gallon buckets of blocks plus at least another bucket's worth already made into candles.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #319 on: October 11, 2022, 04:00:27 pm »
Looked at two cutouts to do later and retrieved a swarm trap that has been in the original location since April,  full 10 frame deep HEAVY  I hated to move them but they were in a Ladies back yard and she is planning a party next week end.  I have done this 4 years in a row.