Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: dead bees on porch  (Read 2736 times)

Offline rober

• Field Bee
dead bees on porch
« on: July 28, 2014, 03:13:05 pm »
i have a pest control guy who refers all of his honey bee calls to me. I got a call this morning from a woman who has a hive about 30' up in a tree. that's not an issue. her question is why is she finding dead bees on her front porch every day. there's nothing there to attract them but at night they leave a porch light on. the hive is about 75' from the light. the light is the only thing I can think of given the circumstances. I've not heard any reports of zombie bees in this area. any ideas out there//

Offline Santa Caras

• House Bee
Re: dead bees on porch
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 03:34:31 pm »
75' really isnt that far.. I put a frame of honey on my front porch...probably bout 200' from the hive....didnt wanna start a feeding frenzy..well I did...just around the frames tho....not at the hives. Anyway...they were there all night eating and when I got up all around my front porch light was a couple dozen dead bees. Figured they kept buzzing the light and died. 

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 11:04:22 pm »
If I leave on any outside lights facing the hives, I will get bees buzzing them at night - they will even do this at a window of a room where a light fixture is visible.

Offline BingalingBees

• New Bee
  • Brad Raspet BingalingBees.com
    • Bingaling Bees
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 02:37:02 am »
I too have dead bees under back porch light... Just assumed they got confused after sunset since they navigate by the sun?
Brad Raspet - Mount Vernon, WA
www.BingalingBees.com