Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hives absconding this fall  (Read 2372 times)

Offline rober

• Field Bee
hives absconding this fall
« on: November 28, 2015, 04:54:38 am »
I've not had any but have been hearing about a lot of hives absconding this fall. any others seeing or hearing the same?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: hives absconding this fall
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 06:47:06 am »
Yes, we talked about this problem at the club. I lost one about 6 weeks ago.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 08:55:03 pm »
So far I'm still at 100%
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline CBT

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 09:06:38 pm »
I can't say the same. Found out that hive Beatles will make the bees leave.

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 10:50:37 pm »
which beatle was in your hive, paul or ringo?

Offline MRBeek

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 09:02:58 pm »
We have had such a mild fall here in northern Wi. I didn't wrap my 2 hives until the first week of Nov. and the bees were out in force the day I did wrap them up. Last week I was riding my ranger and stopped by the hives just to check on them, so I tapped on the first hive and heard the buzz but the second hive was quite when I tapped the hive, they were fine 3 weeks ago. I then took off the winter top cover and tapped again but nothing so I might have lost that hive. What should I do with that hive, it's full with honey, will all hives buzz if tapped, tear it down and check?

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 09:41:01 pm »
I talked to someone today I had sold some hives to this past spring/summer. She called because she wanted to know what would make 3 strong hives up and leave, leaving behind capped brood & plenty of stores. Not the first dead or live bee to be found. That's the first I've heard about around here.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 09:43:40 pm »
I'd freeze & store those frames & use them as needed. I'm wondering if these absconding hives are why I got the late swarm calls.

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 11:55:44 pm »
Per my earlier post, I and a mentoree new beek have both had fall abscondings, and others have responded that it is happening here in the northeast... I sent comb/bood samples to Beltsville lab and will report back what I hear.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 06:42:11 pm by tjc1 »

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 10:01:30 am »
somehow I managed to miss that whole thread, DOH!

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 07:03:53 pm »
checked my hives today. 2 weeks ago all was well. today a couple seemed to have much smaller populations & my strongest hive was empty. nary a bee. & something else that was odd was that several of the hives were clustering on top of the lower box not on top. what was looking like a promising winter survival rate just changed to not looking too good at all. time will tell.

Offline ricky_arthur

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 11:41:36 am »
checked my hives today. 2 weeks ago all was well. today a couple seemed to have much smaller populations & my strongest hive was empty. nary a bee. & something else that was odd was that several of the hives were clustering on top of the lower box not on top. what was looking like a promising winter survival rate just changed to not looking too good at all. time will tell.

Rober.  The top of the hive is the bottom of the food. Your bees are clustered right where you want them right now.  Assuming there is honey above them obviously.   

anything