Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: feeding syrup now?  (Read 4018 times)

Offline rober

• Field Bee
feeding syrup now?
« on: January 19, 2015, 01:26:40 pm »
with this warm spell the girls have been flying. they were working a bucket that has some sugar residue in it. I put a few sticks in the bucket for floats & put a small amount of syrup in the bucket & they quickly drained it. it's been in the 50's during the day but down in the high 20's & low 30's at night. would syrup be bad for them at these temperatures?

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
Re: feeding syrup now?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 09:23:46 pm »
Syrup is not particularly good this time of year because of the moisture it contains.   That is why a lot of people switch to candy boards or Mountain Camp with plain sugar during winter, so there is not so much excess moisture in the hive. Too much moisture will kill bees as quick in the winter as low temps will. 

I always make sure I leave PLENTY of honey on my hives and then set back an extra super of unextracted frames of honey in case I think a hive is running low.  But I haven't had to feed my 3 hives and 2 nucs anything spring or fall for 3 years now and they are doing great (no chemical treatments, either).
linda d

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 11:12:26 pm »
I use the bottle system. The bottle is outside so there is no excess moisture inside. Have to refill tomorrow. Each colony taking about 5 oz's daily. d2

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 10:24:16 am »
I'm just a second year beek but from everything I have read and learned you want to avoid moisture in the hive during winter.  They drank the syrup on a nice day but I think you would be better off to continue using dry sugar through the winter.  Syrup on the outside is not a bad Idea.  In my area I use dry sugar in the winter.
Good Luck, enjoy your bees.

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 10:52:24 am »
bottle system????

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 11:06:45 am »
Cheap as you can I guess. that's what I'd do. 
Glass might break in a freeze but you can use an old jar or can over some gravel.
I put out sugar water this weekend and they had no interest.  It was over 50 degrees.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 01:46:48 pm »
In Mich. or north, I'd say no. In Mo., I don't see a problem with it. The short time it's warm, they will likely only take in enough to eat and not store any.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 02:18:32 pm »
I have 6 hives here. on these warm days they'll take up to a gallon of 2 to 1 syrup. it's supposed to near or over 50* today. I'm going to crack them open for a peek.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 08:00:35 pm »
Look to see is it wet? if it is stop feeding suryp, amd try mountian camp.

the dampness inside will kill the the hive.

cold is Ok till ya add water. when your out playing with them wear a wet shirt youll catch on fast

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 10:45:03 pm »
I have had no problem with using bottles. I use 20 oz. Gator Aid bottles. the sugar water will not freeze as solid as quick as pure water. If you 2nd year beekers try to tell me what I have been doing for 14 years is not good and I am not having any problem with my system, go figure. d2

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 12:20:09 am »
Sorry if I miss read or miss said anything. My bottles are on the out side, on top. I don't use glass or thin plastic bottles. use a rigid type bottle. they do slow a little when it is cool/cold. They do take it on rainy days. I don't have to open the hive so not disturbing the bees so often. I have extra covers for when I am not feeding. d2

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 11:32:19 am »
is this like a chicken waterer?

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 03:59:50 pm »
It doesn't make any difference if the syrup is on the inside or the outside of the hive.  The moisture issue comes from how much syrup they may store in cells inside after taking if from whatever container you are giving it to them in.  Remember when they store nectar spring/summer or fall, they fan the extra moisture out of it inside but in 90 degree weather moisture is not an issue.  If they are storing 50% or even 33% sugar to water syrup in the hive in 40-50 degree weather or lower, that is how you get the extra moisture inside the hive that is not good for them in the winter.

Like iddee said, if they are just taking the sugar water to use as a food source right then, it might not be a problem but if they are putting it in cells, then you are adding extra moisture into the hive in a time of year where that is not a good thing to do.
linda d

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 08:55:13 pm »
My stores were low and the queen is laying big time. Already 2 plus frames with capped brood. they are bringing in pollen but we know there is no nectar out there where I am located. d2

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 09:34:31 am »
Yes it seams to be an early year here too

the girls are growing well

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 07:21:30 pm »
But also, once the ball warms the moisture, it is a mute point if you are well vented.  Venting is more important than most realize.  I am going to start another thread dealing with that.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 11:55:06 pm »
You guys think location might make a difference  :wink: A beek in OK & IN and one in Ga. Well here in SC feeding sugar syrup in winter is no problem as it would not be in Ga. In Ok I have no idea? A lot of beekeeping is about location and here is a prime example. Better be feeding here now, if not enough store, as things will be starting up soon.
And the mountain camp method don't most use it for emergency feeding?
Don why such a small bottle. Cut holes to fit in a feeder top and feed a couple qt jars at a time. But I am sure you have your reasons......
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 12:33:20 am by sc-bee »
John 3:16

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2015, 03:02:25 pm »
Steve,
The Mountain Camp method is twofold.
 One, is a food source if the bees get to the top and run out,which sometimes they chimney up through the center and find themselves too far from the honey at the outer edges.
 Two,  The sugar is a dessicant of sorts as it will absorb moisture rising to the top of the hive.
 Both options more relevant in a cold climate, like you were saying about location.

Another thought, how long until your flows down south? Early feeding is not necessary unless it's for survival(lack of stores) or brood buildup in anticipation of a flow 4 to six weeks out. Feeding for the sake of feeding seems unnecessary.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 12:10:29 am »
Steve,
The Mountain Camp method is twofold.
 One, is a food source if the bees get to the top and run out,which sometimes they chimney up through the center and find themselves too far from the honey at the outer edges.
 Two,  The sugar is a dessicant of sorts as it will absorb moisture rising to the top of the hive.
 Both options more relevant in a cold climate, like you were saying about location.

Another thought, how long until your flows down south? Early feeding is not necessary unless it's for survival(lack of stores) or brood buildup in anticipation of a flow 4 to six weeks out. Feeding for the sake of feeding seems unnecessary.

Yea I knew it would absorb some moisture but thought most only used it for emergency feeding. I used it a little last year just to try it. And yea I try to leave enough honey on not too feed but have feed more for survival this year than ever. I hear folks saying things are early. Not early here. I think we are on a more normal pace as I saw winter -spring when I was a kid. The red maples are not even in full bloom yet. That is usually at least bt the end of January the last few years. May snow tues-wed .... Oh my I have to go buy some bread and milk  :shocked: :wink:
John 3:16