Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help with getting new bees  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
Help with getting new bees
« on: March 05, 2008, 10:59:58 pm »
I am in a quandry.  I have a hive given to me which is poplulated in unknown, but suspected low, numbers.  I am starting two more hives.  I had hoped to find someone to sell me a couple of nucs, but unfortunately, I know no one locally who keeps bees.  I found the local association's webste, but they do not respond to email inquires.  They tell me I can join by paying the treaurer, but they do not tell me how to contact her.  Quite frustrating.  I tried contacting a local beekeeper from whom my father buys honey for his bakery, but he did not seem terribly interested to help out. My only resource that I can identify is this forum and the state association meeting next weekend (which coincidentally is in my city this year). 

I can order bees from the local hardware store and they will be local bees packaged with a queen.  Should I buy a couple of packages of these?  Should I order some fro the internet?  If so, where?  My sons and I kind of liked the idea of having different types of bees and then observing their performance.  This may be a difficult proposition and more trouble than it is worth.  I am curious as to your collective thoughts. 

I have read that nucs will build up faster than package bees, but how much more?  If I get package bees, will they produce honey and wax the first year? Should I get the hardware store bees or order them?  If ordering, where is the best place to get bees shipped to the Ozarks?  Thanks for any advice,  I am almost paralyzed with indecision born of ignorance.  I need help.

Brian
Brian

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
Re: Help with getting new bees
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 11:35:54 pm »
In my short experience I find that local bees do the best.  They are acclimated to your area and conditions.  Order some from the hardware store.  Maybe they will tell you where they get the bees.  The supplier could answer most of your questions.  They might even be able to tell you how to get in touch with your mysterious local association! :-D

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 09:02:24 am »
Brian I sent you a PM.  There are alot of local (fairly local) people you can buy NUCS from.

You going to be at the meeting???  If so come stop around and introduce yourself.  I am the bald guy......
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 11:19:00 am »
Problem solved. Thanks for the advice
Brian

anything