Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Harvesting Ross Rounds  (Read 4734 times)

Offline Tyro

• House Bee
Harvesting Ross Rounds
« on: September 01, 2010, 01:16:03 pm »
Can anyone give instructions on the best way to get the Ross Rounds out of the super frames and into the plastic containers?

Thanks.

Mike

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Harvesting Ross Rounds
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 08:44:50 pm »
When harvesting, place the filled frame on a table, insert the corner of a hive tool in the end foundation slot, twist, and lift off the frame half. Turn the sections flat on the table and lift off the other frame half. When enough supers have been emptied, separate each section from the sheet of foundation, and trim excess foundation with a small knife. Arrange rows of sections, place covers on one side, turn over all sections, and place the other cover. The sections may be labeled at this time, or better, just before being sold, as some buyers want them unlabeled, or with their own special label. In any case, if you are in a wax moth area (and most of us are), seal the covered sections in plastic bags, freeze at 0 degrees F, and be sure to let the sections warm up to room temperature before opening the sealed bag.

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 09:19:50 pm »
Allen have you done ross rounds before? or did you copy and past that? Just curious as I am trying to figure out weather to do those or cut comb

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 09:33:20 pm »
Cut and paste baby.  I have only done the Bee o pacs for comb honey.   Bee-o-pacs fit in a standard medium super and are a squarer and cheaper version than Ross. I did not do them this year, and still have a few from last year unsold I use for show.   They did not sale so well, but look good. 

http://www.betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=1581

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 10:00:57 pm »
An ancient post but I think Allen is still around.  OR  any one else::::  What is the best of the comb honey production systems?  The beeopac and Hoggs Half Combs and Ross rounds  all look like a better way to go than the old basswood section boxes I used to fight with twenty five years ago.  I did some cut comb this year and had forgotten what a hellacious mess that was.  Granted I had none of the right equipment, but I still would like some experienced folks to comment on alternatives like the three above.  Thanks all.

Offline PeeVee

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 01:11:32 am »
I'm interested in hearing about this subject as well. I picked up a whole bunch of the basswood item this past year but didn't try that yet. Sections, thin foundation, and the special supers. Should have tried it out but the spring weather was crappy here.

Old photos I've seen of cut comb looked like the cut pieces were lain out on a wire frame to drip the excess  honey before packaging.

I have some of the Ross Round parts as well but seemed like the pieces I am missing would cost more than their worth.

An additional thought is how to price the finished product.
-Paul VanSlyke - Cheers from Deposit,NY

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 07:32:20 am »
Comb honey and so-called 'raw' honey are making a come back in a big way.  Both are commanding higher prices these days and many beeks are joining the .....er....revolution :-\ 

There is a great 'little' booklet available by RICHARD TAYLOR called 'Comb Honey Basics', specifically Ross comb honey.  My copy was only $4.50, sometime ago, although I forget where I got it. 

Its 23 pages are filled w/ valuable info, including a great section on KYBO (Keeping Your Broodnests Open).

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 03:40:24 pm »
Before you produce, make sure you have a market for what ever you are going to produce.  I like beeopac but can't get people to buy.   They don't look like real honey to them.    That is why I did not make any last year.   Might put some in next year just to make more.    For me I sell mostly extracted honey.   You do run across some wanting comb honey.  And I do have some messed up frames every year or lots of burr and just plain crap that will not extract that goes into jars for these customers.   Another thing to remember is that all that wax costs you so much more to produce than just honey because honey must be burned to make that wax.   I think a lot of people forget that. 

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 03:51:15 pm »
look on lindas' site....and i can't for the life of me remember her name on here (sorry linda).  she had an exellent tutorial on doing cut comb without all that extra equipment.

if you are in the right market, cut comb sells really well and you get good money.   the tree huggers here love it.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 03:54:28 pm »
Tillie on the Forum and http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com/

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 04:34:46 pm »
thanks.  sucks to get old!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.