Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Looking for some advice about treed bees in Ocala, FL  (Read 1060 times)

Offline Sunshine.nurse1971

• New Bee
Looking for some advice about treed bees in Ocala, FL
« on: February 04, 2020, 09:52:33 pm »
I have a hive took up residence in the bottom part of a tree in my backyard. They seem friendly enough, well, sort of. Lol My yard guy took 1 sting when mowed the backyard back in early December. But not since.

I am planning on trapping them out, and replacing the queen for safety reasons. My question is, this week starts the warm up here in Marion County, FL. When should I actually begin to the trap out process. I do feed them 1:1 sugar water, but will feed them pollen if need be so they won't starve.

Thanks for reading!😁

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Barhopper

• House Bee
Re: Looking for some advice about treed bees in Ocala, FL
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 09:19:01 pm »
There is a beekeeping club that meets on the second Tuesday of the month at Queen of America in Belleview at 7pm. Several people there very experienced in trap outs. Where in OCALA are you located?

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 11:17:13 am »
I tried tree-bee trapout last year, thinking, "Good genetics! Made it through winter! Surviving the mites!"
I chronicled it here:
https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=52056.msg464579#msg464579
I tried to apply all advice from Robo's instructions.

The answer was no, it wasn't worth it. Materials cost added up; much time, many mites, clouds of angry bees that would follow me as I ran far down the road ... even with heavy smoking.  Later that year I got a couple of swarms and they were easy-peasy.  One of swarms might have been from the bee colony.

My 2 cents: Unless you're paid well for the removal, leave it be.  If it has to go away for safety, seal it up. If you want free bees in Florida, just set out a swarm trap.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 05:18:12 am »
Being as the bees are in your back yard, I would definitely do the Trapout. Watch some of the Trapout videos that are posted here. It is a great learning experience.
I have done a lot of Trapouts over the years. Many of them long distance and I do charge for them. You will need to keep a close I on them. Bees are very good at finding every possible entrance to their hive.
They will also feed the nurse bees through number 8 wire cloth.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Sunshine.nurse1971

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 02:30:59 pm »
Thanks for replying guys!😁  I live on the SE side of town. Trap out is gonna happen. They just need a new home in my hive..lmao I am just waiting on the right time. Am thinking brillo pads for sealing up the sides and hot glue. These bees seem calm enough, even watch for me to put out their syrup 😜 Making the trap out thingie this afternoon and will install this weekend when I'm off. Will post pics

Offline Barhopper

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 08:17:33 pm »
I?m also on the SE side of town. PM me if you want my contact info.