Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Been a long winter  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
Been a long winter
« on: February 05, 2021, 03:24:41 pm »
It's just a new experience keeping bees in the north and it's kind of driving me crazy. It's been 4 months so far that I haven't been to do anything with my colonies.
and probably another six weeks to go. I've been so bored I have milled my own lumber, built a small kiln to dry it, and made some supers and nucs. You can tell a beekeeper is board when he makes his nucs with dovetail joints. Now to top it off the temps are going to get really low over the next several days down to -18F with wind chills to -25 to-30F hope the bees can hand the temps. Life is really good just want to play with the bees.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Been a long winter
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 03:36:43 pm »
I know what you mean Brian.  While I've never kept bees in a cold climate, I used to live up north when I was younger, and winter seemed to last forever at this time of year.  I've probably got about 3 weeks until my first inspections, but it's still quite cold here too.  We've got lows in the 30's or colder for the foreseeable future.  I'm sure HoneyPump will pop up and teach us not to complain though, since I saw on another thread his highs for the weekend are around -25 up there in Canada, and he won't see his bees until April.  :sad: 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 04:54:41 pm »
I don't know about your area Brian, but it amazes me the amount of honey and wax TheHoneyPump produces in such a short time.  The Summers are short there. "They must be short and sweet" (honeywise)   :cheesy: ..  Is your area an abundant honey producing area as well?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 05:47:46 pm »
I don't know about your area Brian, but it amazes me the amount of honey and wax TheHoneyPump produces in such a short time.  The Summers are short there. "They must be short and sweet" (honeywise)   :cheesy: ..  Is your area an abundant honey producing area as well?
The last season was my first in the north. I was delightfully surprised. The dandelion bloom was tremendous, not just a small amount like down south but hundreds of acers tightly packed a good hive can bring in about 60 pounds from dandelion alone. There was no dearth to speak of, my colonies had a surplus between 120-145 each
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 09:56:27 am »
A healthy hive has no problem in most parts of the north and it has less predators in the summer time due to the winter dearth.  Winter is not hard on bees it is hard on me so I will not be returning to the north even though it is easier to have bees.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 08:04:35 pm »
   It didn't get cold for about 10 days... All the way down to about 70 F in the morning.. It is warm up now.. Because there's...  Little snow  Left On the continent of Asia.. Have a great day..

BEE HAPPY Jim 134
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 10:16:05 pm »
Red maples are getting close here. Finally looks like we may get some flying weather next week. Been about three weeks since we had any.

anything