Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Limericks, parodys, and witicisms.  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Limericks, parodys, and witicisms.
« on: December 21, 2009, 10:26:37 pm »
We can all think of a few limericks, those five line wonders of a a b b c (or a) perverse verse, that either affect or affront the funny bone.
But a good parody, the humorous corruption of some one else's hyperbole, is hard to beat.  a good parody has both the jest of a well executed limerick and the effrontery of an adulterous pun.  Parodies are most closely associated with lines of musical verse, but apply to poetry as well as poetry and musical verse have been intermixed since time immoral.
Witticisms, including irony, are one line jewels of philosophy delivered deadpan that have the affect of a limerick or parody.

All illustrations are the original work of the author.

example for a limerick:

Me mother had an old Teapot,
You didn't dare get it hot,
For when it boiled,
everything spoiled,
And made father a demented despot.

Example of a Parody:  With apologies to Bobby Burns, Wally Thoreau, Harry Longfellow and other bards of yore.

In days of old when knights were bold
And underwear was made of tin,
For a Lady to go without a Chasity belt was considered quite a sin.
When Young King Richard left upon the Crusades,
His knights put their wives upon parade,
As if to say, with this here key.
this woman must be true to me.
Under the forgotten Chestnut tree, the village smithy sweltered,
Who labored night a day to set those ladies free,
which is why we have so many people named Smith today!

An example of a witticism:

I 'd give it a number 9 adjustment, that's me shoe size.

There are several types of puns, the verbal using similar sounding words, the written using words that sound the same but are spelled differently, and the sanguine which manages to do both at the same time.

Such as:  The secret of making good bread is a need to knead.  (didn't think I could get all three examples into one pun did you?)

All in all, they each require the stealthy construction of nimble words in lying lines of pretenious verse to achive the mis-beguided affect.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything