Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen cells/ Splits  (Read 3068 times)

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Queen cells/ Splits
« on: March 27, 2014, 08:07:58 pm »
I have read not to move queen cells until day 13 that they are fragile. Of course when you have a hive in swarm mode and have no idea of the age of the cell... then what? Split right.... you pretty much have to unless you are lucky enough to find the queen and leave the cells in the parent hive. Well I seem to have queen finding issue when I need to find her and I am force to split and move cells away. Maybe I should have split and left in same yard instead of transporting by truck? Am I over thinking this?

All that rambling and my main question is - what about open cells? Are they less fragile to move to a split and transport to another yard?
John 3:16

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: Queen cells/ Splits
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 08:31:36 pm »

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 08:49:42 pm »
I never move to another yard. I try to move the queen away so the original location with the cells get the foragers, as they will be going a couple weeks without new eggs. That may only be 4 feet or so, unless I'm splitting more than a 2 way. Then I move the queen nuc 10 feet or more and split the nucs to each side the original location so some foragers will go to each cell nuc.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 09:19:30 pm »
I never move to another yard. I try to move the queen away so the original location with the cells get the foragers, as they will be going a couple weeks without new eggs. That may only be 4 feet or so, unless I'm splitting more than a 2 way. Then I move the queen nuc 10 feet or more and split the nucs to each side the original location so some foragers will go to each cell nuc.

Thanks Id hind sight is always 20/20. After it was over I said why did you move them? I was just always taught to take the split to a different yard if you have one. I need to try and adapt to the same yard method.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 09:21:39 pm »
Something that works:  http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/taranovswm.html

Thanks for posting I'll double back and read later....

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 12:05:28 am »
the evening before this two day flood would have been an ideal time to do an in yard split.  the bees didn't fly for a couple of days so at least some will re-orient to the new spot tomorrow.

anything