ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES FORUM

Gold prospecting using a metal detector

<< < (2/66) > >>

Lesgold:
I think I could get excited about a Nugget like that.

Ben Framed:
Actually I was excited about the nugget that you found! Not knowing the first thing about prospecting, I have wondered, "if there is gold in the creeks and such, shouldn't there also be gold found in the areas/soil bordering the creeks?" Might take a little digging? How deep in the soil/rock will your machine detect and identify gold?

Phillip

Lesgold:
Hi Phillip,

The old timers dug the banks around the creeks looking for gold that was deposited millions of years ago. Detecting for gold is just an enjoyable pastime (like beekeeping) The nugget that I found was about 12? down below the waterline. That would be close to the limit for my machines if that nugget was in the ground. Detectors can pick up a signal deeper than that but it depends on the size of th gold.

Lesgold:
We had to go back to the same spot on the weekend as my mate picked up another signal just below a rock bar. We could not see or recover what it was as it was again under water. This time a mask and snorkel was taken to the spot to help out. This is what we found.

Rock Bar Gold
https://youtu.be/D_zE5MsQUaM

Cheers

Les

Ben Framed:
That is a beautiful location Les. Congrats on the find!

Phillip

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version