Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 2 brood nests - 1 hive  (Read 1029 times)

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
2 brood nests - 1 hive
« on: February 03, 2019, 05:25:18 pm »
Just an interesting observation. Last week when I transitioned one of the 5 frame Nucs over to 8 frame equipment, I saw something I've not heard of. The hive had 2 distinct brood nests.

The main brood nest mostly filled the lower 5 deep as well as the lower part of the next box up, made up of solely worker brood.

Above that, about the size of a large grapefruit, was a 2nd brood nest made up completely of Drone brood. This covered parts of 3 frames in the lower half of the top box, and the upper half of the middle box.

What made it so unique, was that the frames were foundationless with freshly drawn white wax - and the drone brood cells were set into the frames surrounded by capped honey cells. It looked like a softball stuck in the middle of honey cells, and when pulling a frame, you were taking a slice out of it.

Has anyone seen this before? ... I haven't seen or read about a layout like this. I've always seen the drones on the outside of the main brood nest, but part of it.

In either case, I thought it was pretty cool, and thought I'd share.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: 2 brood nests - 1 hive
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 06:38:59 pm »
The reason you have that is the insertion of foundationless frames. They will most always use that rather than convert older brood or honey cells to drone cells.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 08:39:29 pm »
Hello to ID.  Not much to add, as ID nailed it.  However, remember the first sign of swarming is drone brood.  Not one hundred percent mind you, but keep swarming on the radar.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 09:04:34 pm by Stinger13 »
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 09:07:03 am »
Did you place the drone frames on the outside of the worker brood?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 10:57:59 pm »
No worries. Thank you for the responses. It was really cool to see - and new for me, so I thought I'd share. The differences in foundationless vs foundation are quite striking sometimes. All new territory for me.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln