Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: REVOLUTION  (Read 14443 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
REVOLUTION
« on: September 18, 2012, 04:37:59 pm »
Last night was the premiere of Revolution and I don't think this is going to make it cause if you can't make a good pilot, you won't get a following - it is like Jericho and Falling Skies had a baby.

Plot, in the near future, all electronic, batter operated or any electricity powered things STOP working - except for whomever holds a little locket device which seems to at least power a computer and allows the user to text with someone else - who knows where.

And that what the whole show. A family is approached by some make-shift government (we find guns are illegal, so most people have crossbows and knifes and swords) and the person you think is a main character is killed, sub-characters hit the road and look for a relative who seems to have some Kung-fu powers - at least sword skills.

It was sad, really sad. Add an hour to this and you have a horrible movie that would go right to DVD.

Some shows need time to build up steam, but producers and TV Stations know to make a 2 hour pilot for such shows.

The only saving grace is the actor who played "Chicken Man" Guss from Breaking Bad is in this and he is the main bounty hunter for the government searching for certain people.

Anyone else see this?? I'll bet a paycheck right now this will NEVER see a FULL SEASON let known a second season.

(corrected Series Title)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 04:18:15 pm by beemaster »
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: EVOLUTION
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 10:47:54 pm »
TV big bosses just don't understand good scifi shows.   They can't make them good enough because they do not want to spent that money to make it good, or the shows are too expensive to make and they drop them after or during the first season because the ad money amounts to pay for the show is not there.   

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 12:04:46 am »
missed it and had intended to watch.  what else is on new that is worth watching?  i have not been paying much attention.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 12:32:38 am »
I presume you mean Revolution.  A bit reminiscent of The Hunger Games and The Postman, but you and 14,999,999 other people watched so I'm sure the sponsors are happy.

Have fun!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 10:44:31 am by Sundog »

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: REVOLUTION
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 10:25:55 am »
DVRed it for later and have the show set to record. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 05:10:24 pm »
OK.  watched it.  it was not that bad.  had some engaging personalities and multiple story line possibilities.  + it's not to thinky to get canceled in favor of some idiot reality show...as most of the shows i liked have been canceled.  i'll give it a chance. 
it is like Jericho and Falling Skies had a baby.
  it is, but both were/are good shows so maybe the baby will grow up cute  :evil:

Offline BabcockFarms

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 08:33:28 pm »
I am on the fence on this one. I like the concept but they don't have me chomping at the bit quite yet. I still waiting for another West Wing!
Ron Babcock

"I believe the good that men do, will live long after they gone."
                                                                                                                          ~Mr. Fox Haas

<

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 09:19:59 pm »
Finally caught the first episode.   I thought it was a lot like the Postman.   I will stick with it for a while.   

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 05:56:30 pm »
Some slight spoilers ahead. Nothing giving plot away really, just observations.

Okay... Three episodes down and I'll add that the characters (the beginning of the Revolution) is interesting. They tie it together nicely, although I have a hard time getting past the visual errors of a society 15 years unattended by electrical devices. Best example is the driveway leading up to the home of the lady with the computer. It was very well maintained and sorry I don't buy her using a push mower to keep a full driveway clear when at best she will be riding a horse.

Horses BTW seem to be more rare than guns and (thinking of the forum members) supposedly making ammo in the electric-less future is near impossible. I could be wrong but I think you gun folks will do just fine when the "Fit hits the Shan" heehee

Back to horses, we really need enslaved people pulling helicopters through the woods. And what about bicycles?? 

I like it but you need to overlook some stuff or you'll lose yourself nitpicking. 

I just wonder if society WOULD collapse or adapt and would the US government crumble when technology disappeared?

I just feel in 15 years, knowing all we know about the history of industry and design of invention, that wouldn't we likely be better off than where these people are??

Pretty sure they made 7 episodes and if they keep our attention this may come back. Shame is that we have seen so many other shows run out of ideas and twists that make them marketable.

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 07:52:57 pm »
I find it hard to believe that America only had a 15 year supply of ammo.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 09:25:22 pm »
just watched #3.  anyone catch the reference from The Stand?  :-D 

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 10:15:32 pm »
No, please enlighten me.   

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 10:44:44 pm »
pulled this from a site that gives a synopsis of the shows.

In the present, Miles and Nora arrive at the rebel “base,” which is just an abandoned restaurant (looks like a combination of TGI Fridays, Bennigan’s, and Houliahan’s… that’s the scariest sight yet on this show!). Miles introduces himself as “Stu Redmond” and says Charlie’s name is “Frannie.” The rebels are suffering. They ran into an ambush this morning and really took a beating. Miles says they need to leave soon because the militia could be coming.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 10:46:25 pm »
it jumped out at me because that's one of my all time favorite movies.  one of the very few i'll watch again from time to time. 

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 11:18:20 pm »
I agree about the Stand, it really was a great adaptation of the book which truly was the first epic book I ever tackled.  I don't think there was a poorly cast character in the entire movie.

I got a good chill from IT with Tim Curry as Pennywise the Clown - I think one of the most memorable scenes was when the kids were looking at a photo which came to life and Pennywise was coming down the street toward them and popping out at us almost in 3D - awesome clip. Although the movie seemed a bit hokey - I think the book explained the character interaction so much better (obviously since we spent 300 pages with them as kids alone) but still not a bad flick.

Another great King movie was WATCHERS 2 (the original watchers was crap, so far from the book it was pathetic) but Watchers 2 followed the book exactly, making you love the brilliant dog and understand the hate and jealousy of the beast creature - hope you net flixers catch that one.

UPDATE: I was just looking this up at IMDB and it gets a terrible 3.3/10 review but I still recommend it, please let me know what you think if you see it - especially if you read the book.

Oh... yes I caught the reference and thought it cute - can't remember who he called the priest, but it was funny too.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 11:32:41 pm by beemaster »

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 02:51:27 am »
I posted this animation in the web videos forum, it is kind of an alternative spin of Revolution a few seasons down the road

http://video.stumbleupon.com/#p=gc8p200l3x

I just can't get past some things, like why no steam powered anything, locomotives would be nice. Using the idea that "EVERYTHING was destroyed in the early days of the Revolution" is a bit of a cop out.

Still, there being no bikes bothers me - imagine having to walk everywhere cause of a horse shortage, lol. Seems to me horse breeding would be a thriving business in a world without mechanical power.

So, episode 4, Revolution continues to move back and forth in time, and giving us eye-opening and shocking insight to the characters.

The truth is, in Revolution, there aren't really any super bad guys, only people with good intent gone eyry. Good people often have to do bad things, the difference in these characters is whether they enjoy being bad, are a product of the evolution of the Revolution or unknown to us are doing the necessary evil to  make a real future for upcoming generations.

As noted, there is more than a casual similarity to the Stand: few people - even in the cities, a drawn line between good and evil (although still fuzzy in Revolution) and in hindsight few cars running in the Stand although it took place within months of Captain Trips, surely a gas tanker truck was a great find and could have made a man wealthy in the Stand, although useless in Revolution - it all goes back to the horse breeder.

If I could add one thing to keep Revolution returning for a second season is Zombies  :-D but that's me. If not Zombies, then Aliens, sort of a Falling Skies, meets Revolution, meets Walking Dead kinda script. Now "that" would be a show I'd watch!!!

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 11:52:35 am »
I have to agree with Beemaster, this show will not make another season.  I do like what I have seen so far thanks to the wife DVRing it for me, but NBC has the rights to it and that is the kiss of death.  Why is it the kiss of death you might ask?  Well, its because the people at NBC won't waste the time to develop the show like other channels would.  The major flaw to this show is the fact that they don't have a lot of black powder rifles... I do believe we (humans) did have those before power.
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 12:39:34 pm »
i agree about NBC.  they dump shows without ever giving them a chance.  there have been a good many shows that i have not found until the 2nd season and then become a fan.  NCIS was one and The Closer, another.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 01:07:39 pm »
can't agree more, the show that ticked me off about NBC was SURFACE (the teen boy raising a whale/dinosaur) from an egg, and the sub-story that was being uncovered about how these creatures which grow as big as a Blue Whale were genetically engineered and (just as Revolution is)  each week we learned more about what lead to current story-line,  it was cancelled -the best cliff-hanger I've ever seen and cancelled just before airing a second season WHICH meant they had more episodes and didn't bother showing them -  Shame on NBC.

The exact opposite happens with channels like AMC (which I believe is an NBC Channel - I'm sure you'll correct me)they  rarely don't bring a show back a second season and by doing so solidifies a plot and creates a hit series: look at Breaking Bad, extended another season, we were told THIS was it and a week before the series finally they start saying in promos "Watch this SEASON'S incredible finally" rather than a week earlier hearing "Watch the SERIES'S finally this Thursday night"

Breaking Bad has to be on your list of series to watch if you want to catch a bunch of shows in a sitting. It may be TV's best dramatic series ever for a lot of reasons and the awards it has won speak for themselves. I remember 2 years ago BECAUSE of the AWARD SHOW RULES Breaking Bad was not allowed to be included in the judging - the rules say all the shows of a season must air within the time from the previous awards and Breaking Bad SPLIT their Episodes into two half seasons and couldn't enter. Shame because the award people even said Breaking Bad would have swept most categories for Series, Actor, Supporting Actor, Directing, etc..

But when a show adds seasons to a scheduled ending series, it really speaks well on how great that show is doing in rating, shame is though OFTEN this may come at a price of sitting on a replacement show for a year before airing it, going in hiatus and likely the show failing to fire back up.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 03:08:10 pm »
TNT picks up some stuff that might otherwise not make it.  + they show the primetime stuff more than once during the week.  i really like that because sometimes the shows that i like on TNT conflict with other stuff.  i can DVR something at 2am on sat to watch later.  this is one of my favorite and it almost didn't make it.

http://www.tntdrama.com/series/rizzoliandisles/

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 09:52:32 pm »
I am predicting that we will see the return of the steam engine this monday.   

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2012, 06:22:38 pm »
Well revolution has finished it's filming for the season and it left us with a cliffhanger. I do wonder if it will come back, I think that it did create enough characters and character interaction to at least stimulate us to want to see what happens now that they have four helicopters ready to shoot 30 or 50 caliber guns at the gang.

The trouble is though we've all seen better shows not come back, so it will be interesting if this one does. I think though that it's going to be a competitor of falling skies although different networks of course but I think it is NBC's version of falling skies and we will see how that works out for everybody.

After all we still have 11 or 10 amulets left to be found, there is a lot of show ahead they just have to keep it interesting and if they do biotin for another half season and that will definitely be the make or break point if they succeed in ratings.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 06:32:14 pm »
NBC has a bad habit of killing shows before giving them a chance.  i like this one so i hope it continues.  if they kill it, maybe syfy or one of the others will pick it up.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 08:35:05 pm »
My big problem with the choppers is after all these years, the fuel would be bad, carbs gummed up, and batteries would be long dead and dry.   I guess that is just my weird thinking.  But I have been watching the show so they have me hooked.   

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 09:29:06 pm »
Coming back.  They did not kill it.   March 25.   Hopefully, they will run all the other episodes before so we can remember what's going on in the show.   

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2013, 11:09:09 pm »
good.  i liked it.  we need stuff that's different.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2013, 10:34:42 pm »
New season starts in 2 weeks.   Monday on NBC.   

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2013, 11:16:08 pm »
good! 

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 09:22:00 am »
 mentioned the things that spoil it for me and Allan summed it up good with the helicopters at the ready and not even sputtering at 15 year old fuel, etc..

It is sad that you need to let issues like these go by or you'd flip the channel, but although it is far from great TV, it is entertaining enough. I was without power for 8 days during Sandy, we had a taste of a world without electricity, although we had my C Crane radio to entertain and inform us. It was Sandy that made up my mind to get the iPhone 5, even interrupted communications was better than none.

Still awaiting Fallen Skies (which I don't think will see another season after this next one, but still a good show)

I'm just wondering what shows have be been cancelled and because it was such a long time between seasons I forgot all about them - I know shows like the Glades and other cable series cop-shows have come and gone.

QUESTION though... What show (now defunct) would you like to come back as a 2 hour show (or mini-series) to see how the characters are doing? I've always been shocked that Star trek Voyager never had a movie after it was over - where next generation did well at the box-office. And, are there any TV shows you would pay to see at the movies if they made it??

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2013, 12:34:01 pm »
falling skies is good because it's a different twist on an old story  + it has a good cast.  there's anew one coming out on syfy next month called Defiance.  they are doing the show and releasing a video game with it.  I beta tested the PC version of the game.  not bad and made me look forward to the show  :-)

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2013, 02:21:32 pm »
I like Falling Skies a lot also.   The movie they made for Firefly was good and ended the show well.  Voyager fell off the map and did not end well imo.  I would like to see more of the new BSG shows into movies.   I caught the last made for the web one. 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2013, 05:31:02 pm »
i wasn't to much of a BSG fan, but i loved the stargate franchise.  the last one they tried to follow the BSG model and it wasn't good.  sad thing is that by the second season they were fixing it, then it was canceled. 

i still will watch the SG reruns and movies. 

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2013, 06:04:16 pm »
Richard Dean Anderson really made SG1 work.   I never got into Atlantis.  But got into Universe right when they decide to can it. I wished they could have at least finished it.   

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2013, 06:14:10 pm »
I had been following Revolution on Hulu when I ran into this gem (language warning) http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-10-dumbest-things-tv-so-far-this-season/
I don't think I ever laughed harder at one of their articles, because they hit on almost every one of my complaints about REVOLUTION except one, which changed drastically after this article (maybe a coincidence, but they have millions of readers) - My own complaint didn't make the list, but that's fair - I didn't write the article. - "Charlie" is a non-learner - several episodes involved her failing to realize that the bad guys aren't going to be friendly cause you let them go - they're going to see it as another chance to get you next time. - and then when she DID learn - she learned the heck out of it and became like a rambochick - shocking even her uncle. - anyway - enjoy the article.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2013, 08:57:10 pm »
LOL

that's very unkind!!

i still like the show  :-D

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2013, 12:32:33 am »
back on tonight!!

anything