Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Anyone got a good fiction book to recommend?  (Read 10144 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Anyone got a good fiction book to recommend?
« on: October 17, 2016, 12:39:30 am »
REally anything? I started a book club and we have read nothing but dull boring reads so I am open to any suggestions.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Anyone got a good fiction book to recommend?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 10:27:14 am »
I like all of the Jack Reacher series.  And all of the Harry Hole series.  And all of the "alphabet murder" series.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline lastfling

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 12:14:17 pm »
Any of the John Sandford books. 

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 03:06:17 pm »
My list would include nothing current but I like all john grisham and robin cook. I have read all the louie lamore.  Not a super fan of tom chainy but read most of them.  Read lots of dean coontze.  With all my reading I wouldn't trust my spelling of authors names or anything else I type.
Cheers
gww

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 06:32:42 pm »
If you like historical fiction Harry Sidebottom and Anne Perry.  Perrys Monk series is great and her ww1 series was equally engaging.  I just finished the 5th wave series.  It was pretty good if you like scifi.  Vince Flynn was a great writer of spy/military type stuff as is Brad Thor. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 08:04:29 am »
Thanks for the recommendations. I will pass the a long at the next meeting.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 08:47:03 am »
check out  The Crater " a novel " byRichard Slotkin's It's a work of history done in a third person view  about the civil war. its about the worst incident in the civil wore that happened July 30th 1864. they even held congressional hearing after the war about it.

john

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 08:46:26 pm »
All of the Louise Penny books are fabulous.   

If you want something meatier, then anything by David McCullough.   Also, Team of Rivals by Doris Goodwin is great.

Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 09:49:05 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 08:13:29 pm »
If you look for the Slotkin book the full title is No Quarter: The Battle of the Crater, 1864  Amazon has it.

I got some new ideas too!  I'll never live to read all on my list....
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2016, 08:31:37 pm »
my mon and dad lived there. as young boy my tein and a friend dugup a union soldier will playing in the old dryed up swamp next to the crater battle field. the whole area is nothing but civil war. mom and dad would digup bullets every year doing the gardens. at least 50 each yea

it was shocking and inteesting area when we arrived from overseas.

john

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 07:51:13 am »
I am reading a series of book by Daniel Silva right now about a guy named Gabriel Allon. They are good easy fun books.

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2017, 12:18:52 am »
Go to goodreads.com and narrow it down a bit. Historical fiction, shoot em up, steam punk, space opera or comedy-MB, I just finished Killing floor (first in the Reacher series by Lee Child).  I loved the Necromancer by J Howard (funny).  Historical fiction-Sharpe series or Saxon stories by Bernard Cornwell. Tom Clancy for spy/ techno thrillers.
I get books on tape from my library and listen to them during my commute or shop time (not with power tools)
Sign up for the BookBub website and they send you a list of free or greatly discounted books every day (learned that here)

Poor decisions make the best stories.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2017, 10:45:16 am »
I get books on tape from my library and listen to them during my commute or shop time (not with power tools)

are you still getting the physical audio material?  You know they have a download site for audiobooks? 

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2017, 03:36:59 pm »
I like the audio on line (overdrive) but I find that I cannot get every book I am looking for that way.  I now signed up for the Clackamas County library as well and it seems that they do very little on the digital audio. I found that the Reacher Series that MB mentioned was at one library and not the other and only on CD. I also find that Multnomah County has been doing hoopla (8 titles per month max)
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2017, 01:03:13 pm »
yeah, the way they do it is a bit odd.  Most of the time if I find it in Clackamas county I can get it. If I am signed in to one county I can't check out from another.   Sometimes the selection is skimpy and the wait can be long.

The other thing I found that kindle unlimited has a lot of books that have the audio version available at no extra charge.  You have to download the audible app, but you don't have to pay for the audio AND it syncs with the book so that if you switch to reading you pick up where the audio left off.  I got a discount trial offer for kindle unlimited and found I use it enough to justify the monthly cost.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2017, 02:20:29 pm »
I like Michael Connelly's books.  He has written more about homicide detective Harry Bosch, but also about Lincoln Lawyer Micky Haller, Bosch's half-brother and a few books with both characters.

Barry Eisler's books remind me a little of the Jack Reacher stories, except that John Lone is some kind of assassin. 
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2017, 12:01:42 am »
I like Michael Connelly's books.  He has written more about homicide detective Harry Bosch, but also about Lincoln Lawyer Micky Haller, Bosch's half-brother and a few books with both characters.

Barry Eisler's books remind me a little of the Jack Reacher stories, except that John Lone is some kind of assassin.

How many are in that series? I am looking soon to start up something new.

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2017, 02:44:29 am »
A Thousand Splendid Suns
Kahled Hosseini

Crossroads
William P. Young

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2017, 07:11:35 am »
Thanks

anything