Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Lifts  (Read 16053 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Hive Lifts
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2020, 07:13:31 pm »
I am thinking one of the most important features that a hand operated hive lift should have is balance. The load must be easily balanced weather heavily or lightly loaded. Otherwise we defeat the purpose of an easy smooth operation.

Phillip
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 01:01:36 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2020, 11:19:36 pm »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2020, 12:22:56 am »
>  Here is one I am planning on to copy https://zoohoz.ru/pchelovodstvo/uli/kak-sdelat-apilift-12476/

Great Post jtcmedic! This might be a good project for Jim at beefeast next year? 👍

Phillip
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 01:03:12 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2020, 09:36:56 am »
A good welding project but it looks heavy to me.  Personally I think you are better of buying a hand cart out of aluminum that is readily available and modifying it for the lift.  The slide could be made out of wood and boat winches are like 15 bucks.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2020, 09:51:37 am »
A good welding project but it looks heavy to me.  Personally I think you are better of buying a hand cart out of aluminum that is readily available and modifying it for the lift.  The slide could be made out of wood and boat winches are like 15 bucks.

Thank you Ace, I like your thinking on this. Food for thought. I have a hand dolly, some call a truck. We us it for moving heavy objects around here at my home. I have noticed as long as the weight is lower than the top handle it seems to be easy to move a very heavy load. The balance point is the key. Once I place weight above the handle or balancing point of the dolly, it seems to throw everything off balance and becomes more of a struggle to handle. One of the manual lifts seems to have taken this into consideration, Placing a two handled hand hold away form the main rail itself, this seems to enable the fellow using it, (and an older gentleman may I add), to move hives with ease and balance in its use. I am thinking it was one of the first videos that I posted here. If this theory is correct, this is a BIG advantage. Allowing the hive to be moved in a more of an upright natural position with much more ease than some models can afford?

Phillip
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 01:03:23 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2020, 04:22:11 pm »
Well it is a toss up Ben.  The closer the wheel axle is to the hive the easier it is to pull the weight to the balance point (Picking the boxes off the hive).  The farther the wheel axle is away from the hive the easier it is to keep it balanced once you get it there.  You should notice that the frame supporting the sled is tipped back on a lot of these designs.  That allows you to lift the hive with the crank/winch.  Then you have to move it in order to lower the boxes.  I don't know how many appliances you have moved with a hand truck but it is not easy until you tip the truck back.  Some appliance trucks have another set of wheels that swing out from the frame so the appliance is supported by 4 wheels and you can actually let go of the truck.
For a turf application you want BIG WHEELS.  The bigger the better.  This will make it easier for moving and balance.
https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/material-handling/hand-trucks-dollies/hand-trucks-appliance-stair-climbing/4-wheel-professional-appliance-hand-truck-1200-lb-capacity?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=Cj0KCQjwsYb0BRCOARIsAHbLPhF59Zizvulzs6JjqkXLt5tWO1NLu71B2ENx7HAg3-TAXR-MWi85bvcaArSIEALw_wcB
This looks like something I would start with.
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-1362/Hand-Trucks/Uline-Standard-Aluminum-Hand-Truck-with-Pneumatic-Wheels?pricode=WA9170&gadtype=pla&id=H-1362&gclid=Cj0KCQjwsYb0BRCOARIsAHbLPhGrUlnHTxpCe4q2vnEi2OPEiqkE10qRG4QGtCrYnY_rwXmGXU0F3bYaAm7_EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
The wheels look like they could slide up the extruded aluminum so the truck would tip back.  Then just make a wooden sled and mount a boat winch.  Have a couple of arms that lock into the hand holds and your done.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2020, 04:24:31 pm »
Oh I forgot to mention, anything like this that you use will take a lot longer to do the job so the hive is open longer.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2020, 07:30:21 pm »
Ace I like the idea of the back set of retractable wheels that is shown on the Global Industries lift. This would be good in case we would need to temporarily stop transportation for any number of reasons as well as safety in assurance of a top heavy load getting out of hand . Yes you are right. I see it as you, the bigger the tires the better.

Phillip
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 01:03:33 pm by Ben Framed »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2020, 12:17:53 pm »
>(jtcmedic) Here is one I am planning on to copy https://zoohoz.ru/pchelovodstvo/uli/kak-sdelat-apilift-12476/

jtcmedic, someone mentioned that this design may be too heavy. After giving it much thought, I do not think it will be to heavy. I like what you have found. After watching MANY videos, I am leaning hard on the (basics) of this one.

> (Ace) Oh I forgot to mention, anything like this that you use will take a lot longer to do the job so the hive is open longer.

You may be right, but I don't think so this time, though I reserve the right to change my mind lol.  Especially when collecting several boxes of full heavy honey. I have got to try and see. I do not want to ruin my back over honey as Don the Fat Beeman did. His warning may be good to heed.

Phillip
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 01:03:45 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2020, 10:06:20 pm »
Phillip
I may be looking at the harbor freight dolly and modify this
After things settle down.
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-In-1-Convertible-Hand-Truck-56409.html

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2020, 10:26:41 pm »
jtcmedic I like it. Looking at the description, it is mostly alumunium! Good find...
If we had a rolling portable lift along with a setup like Ace built, that combo should pretty well cure any back disadvantages along with (some) types of disabilities for our friends who have such, when it comes to hive lifting? 

Phillip
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 01:01:15 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2020, 07:35:19 am »
jtcmedic I like it. Looking at the description, it is mostly alumunium! Good find...
If we had a rolling portable lift along with a setup like Ace built, that combo should pretty well cure any back disadvantages along with (some) types of disabilities for our friends who have such, when it comes to hive lifting? 

Phillip Hall
It also helps that I have a brother in law that is a mad scientist in the garage. He is a plant mechanic for a large warehouse and a whiz at most things mechanical. So pretty lucky. He laughed and said heck Yah I can build it, your bringing the beer right.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2020, 09:11:30 am »
Especially when collecting several boxes of full heavy honey.
The best and most economical solution is to hire a young buck that won't freak out over bees.  Next best is 8 frame mediums, without a doubt.
The biggest problem for me was how to get the bees out without using chemical fume boards.  Which is why I made the box jack to slip in the escape board.
I am concerned that this method might not work as well down here as it did in the north country.  If all else fails there is always the method of picking frames one at a time or at lease half the number of frames (4 for me), very doable.  I think you will find that is as quick as a hive lift.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2021, 03:54:40 pm »
I decided to bump this. There are some folks coming in their golden season of beekeeping that might be interested in some of these ideas.

This simple design was made from a dolly from Harbor Freight.
https://youtu.be/y8caZ0QQ13U

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2021, 05:51:56 pm »
I haul on a trailer and lift off a a home made/harbor freight pole boom attached to my hitch.I know this may sound weird but every time I try to post a pic it exceeds the size allowed. Maybe just a Biden moment IDK. :angry:

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2021, 06:20:34 pm »
I haul on a trailer and lift off a a home made/harbor freight pole boom attached to my hitch.I know this may sound weird but every time I try to post a pic it exceeds the size allowed. Maybe just a Biden moment IDK. :angry:

Its not your fault. Before a picture can be posted here, it needs to be resized. I use to use ReSIZER but lately that hasn't worked for me.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2021, 06:21:31 pm »
I hope you can get it figured out. I would like to see your set up.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2021, 06:38:08 pm »
The last video looks good except he might want to add more length to the base for more stability and security as the weight is lifted? Just food for thought.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2021, 08:01:29 pm »
This is a simple lift which would be good for moving a stack. It is not designed for separating boxes, however it would still be very handy for the application in which Bruce shows here.

https://youtu.be/mEKxzu7fhl0

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2021, 03:20:14 am »
I give up, save it and rotate it yourself
Maybe it is the down under view for the US.
LoL!  Lovit!  Hahhaaa
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.