Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeding Honey to Winter Cluster  (Read 3856 times)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Feeding Honey to Winter Cluster
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2020, 09:08:03 am »
A lot depends on location but my opinion on giving honey is you add a box or nothing especially when it is late in the season.  The bees have to organize their hive and the last thing you want to do is screw that up when they cannot fix it.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Feeding Honey to Winter Cluster
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2020, 06:37:05 pm »
I was able to inspect the light hive today, as it was quite warm here, and is going to be in the 60's with lows in the 50's for the foreseeable future.  They were almost out of food and the hive was not very full of bees.  I condensed them down from 2 mediums to 1.  I did see the queen, and she had a small patch of brood in all stages.  The larvae looked a little hungry, by which I mean that they seemed like they could have used more brood food to be floating in.  I gave them a full frame of honey and I'm planning on feeding them syrup so I can monitor their food stores closely, since it's going to start raining again tomorrow, and I won't be able to get in the hives again any time soon based on the forecast.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.