Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question Moving Entrance Holes in TBH  (Read 2784 times)

Offline hrtull

• House Bee
Question Moving Entrance Holes in TBH
« on: August 20, 2016, 02:49:48 pm »
Currently the entrance holes are in the front of the TBH. I would like to plug those and add holes in the  middle side of TBH. Will there be a problem with bees locating this new entrance.  Reason is to get combs more concentrated in the  middle using follower boards on either side. Thank for any help, HRTULL

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
Re: Question Moving Entrance Holes in TBH
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 04:11:45 pm »
you can move the holes two ways.

1st: cut holes and turn the whole hive sideways placing the holes in the same location as the end holes were.

or
2nd: plug the end cut the side holes. and place leafy limbs or grass infront of holes to make them do a new Oreintation flyt.

john

( typed with left fingure and half closed eyes.)

Offline hrtull

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 08:43:25 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Do I place leafy material /grass at the end holes that are being plugged or at the new side hole location. also do I need to keep them locked up for a period of time. Thanks again. 

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 10:17:31 pm »
Naw. just drill the side holes and plug them. Then at night just open the side holes and plug the end holes. Place the leafy material in front of the holes that are now open on the side.

Use a red light close up or have flood light from a distance. Beware use of bright white light at night on hive makes you a priority one  target!

Offline hrtull

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 11:03:27 pm »
Divemaster, thats what I will do. BTW I found out about using a standard flashlight the hard way. Im slowly learning about bees one sting at a time.  Thanks for your help and have a great day. HT